This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation of Ice Accretion on Three Dimensional Wing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Euler method was used in calculating the gas-liquid two-phase flow field. With the help of the user defined function (UDF) in FLUENT software, the water local collection efficiency and ice accretion on three dimensional wings were solved. The flow motion of runback water was divided along the chordwise and spanwise direction respectively during the computation procedure and the classical Messinger model was modified to be applicable to simulate three dimensional ice accretion. The analysis about three dimensional mass and heat transfer was also performed according to the modified Messinger model. Based on the traditional method of calculating heat transfer coefficient on two dimensional surfaces, an improved method was applied to compute the heat transfer coefficient on three dimensional wings. The direction of ice accretion was defined to be normal to the wing surface. The comparative results showed that the three dimensional ice accretion code developed in this paper was effective.
CitationWang, C., Chang, S., and Su, X., "Simulation of Ice Accretion on Three Dimensional Wing," SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0043, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0043.
- Ruff, GA Berkowitz, BM Users Manual for the NASA Lewis Ice Accretion Prediction Code (LEWICE)[R] 1990
- Morency, F. Beaugendre, H. Baruzzi, G.S. et al. FENSAP-ICE: A Comprehensive 3D Simulation System for In-flight Icing[R] AIAA 2001-2566 2001
- Wright, WB User Manual for the NASA Glenn Ice Accretion Code LEWICE Version2.0[R] 1999
- Xian, Yi Numerical Computation of Aircraft Icing and Study on Icing Test Scaling Law[D] Mianyang China Aerodynamics Research and Development Center Graduate School 2007
- Fluent Inc. ANSYS Fluent 12.0 UDF Manual[Z] Fluent Inc 2009
- Xiegang, Qiu Fenghua, Han Aircraft Anti-icing System [M] Beijing Aviation Professional Textbook Edit and Examination Group 1985 93 97
- Wirogo, Sutikno Srirambhatla, Shashidhar An Eulerian Method to Calculate the Collection Efficiency on Two and Three Dimensional Bodies[R] AIAA-2003-1073 2003
- Xinming, Su Shinan, Chang Yifen, Qiu Water Droplet Impingement Character Calculation of Complex 3D Object with Eulerian Method[C]// Conference of Environment Control & Human-Machine Ergonomics Beijing Chinese Society of Aeronautics and Astronautics 2009 224 231
- Qiuming, Yang Shinan, Chang Numerical Simulation for Two-dimensional Iced Airfoil[J] Aircraft Engineering 2009 2 18 20
- Shinan, Chang Suxiao, Ai Yu, Chen et al. Simulation Approach of Ice Accretion on Airfoil Surface[J] Journal of System Simulation 2008 20 10 2538 2545
- Dillingh, Jeroen E. Hoeijmakers, Harry W.M. Numerical Simulation of Airfoil Ice Accretion and Thermal Anti-icing Systems[R] 24th International Congress of the Aeronautical Sciences, ICAS 2004-7.5.2 Yokohama International Council of the Aeronautic Science 2004
- Snellen, M. Boelens, O.J. Hoeijmakers, H.W.M. A Computational Method for Numerically Simulating Ice Accretion[R] AIAA-97-2206 1997
- Papadakis, Michael Yeong, Hsiung-Wei Wong, See-Cheuk et al. Aerodynamic Performance of a Swept Wing with Ice Accretions[R] AIAA-2003-0731 2003