This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Decision Making Regarding Aircraft De-Icing and In-Flight Icing Using the Canadian Airport Nowcasting System (CAN-Now)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Canadian Airport Nowcasting Project (CAN-Now) has developed an advanced prototype all-season weather forecasting and nowcasting system that can be used at major airports. This system uses numerical model data, pilot reports, ground in-situ sensor observations (precipitation, icing, ceiling, visibility, winds, etc), on-site remote sensing (such as vertically pointing radar and microwave radiometer) and off-site remote sensing (satellite and radar) information to provide detailed nowcasts out to approximately 6 hours. The nowcasts, or short term weather forecasts, should allow decision makers at airports such as pilots, dispatchers, de-icing crews, ground personnel or air traffic controllers to make plans with increased margins of safety and improved efficiency. The system is being developed and tested at Toronto Pearson International Airport (CYYZ) and Vancouver International Airport (CYVR). A Situation Chart has been developed to allow users to have a high glance value product which identifies significant weather related problems at the airport. Some new products combining observations and numerical model output into nowcasts are being tested. This talk will describe the uses of the system for decisions regarding aircraft de-icing at the ground and in-flight icing over the airport. Some statistical verifications of forecast products regarding precipitation amount, precipitation type, in-flight icing, etc, will be given.
- George A. Isaac - ARMP, Environment Canada
- Monika Bailey - ARMP, Environment Canada
- Faisal Boudala - ARMP, Environment Canada
- Stewart G. Cober - ARMP, Environment Canada
- Robert Crawford - ARMP, Environment Canada
- Norman Donaldson - ARMP, Environment Canada
- Ismail Gultepe - ARMP, Environment Canada
- Bjarne Hansen - ARMP, Environment Canada
- Ivan Heckman - ARMP, Environment Canada
- Laura Huang - ARMP, Environment Canada
- Alister Ling - ARMP, Environment Canada
- Janti Reid - ARMP, Environment Canada
- Marc Fournier - CMAC-E, Environment Canada
CitationIsaac, G., Bailey, M., Boudala, F., Cober, S. et al., "Decision Making Regarding Aircraft De-Icing and In-Flight Icing Using the Canadian Airport Nowcasting System (CAN-Now)," SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0029, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0029.
- Bailey, M.E., Isaac, G.A., Driedger, N. and Reid, J., 2009: Comparison of Nowcasting Methods in the Context of High-Impact Weather Events for the Canadian Airport Nowcasting Project. International Symposium on Nowcasting and Very Short Range Forecasting, Whistler, British Columbia, 30 August - 4 September 2009
- Bellon, A, and Austin, G.L., 1986: The accuracy of short-term radar rainfall forecasts. J. of Hydrology, 70, 35-49.
- Benjamin, S.G., Devenyi, D., Smirnova, T., Weygandt, S., Brown, J.M., Peckham, S., Brundage, K., Smith, T.L., Grell, G., and Schlatter, T., 2006: From the 13-km RUC to the Rapid Refresh. 12th Conf. on Aviation, Range, and Aerospace Meteorology (ARAM), Atlanta, GA, Amer. Meteor. Soc. CD-ROM, 9.1
- Benjamin, S.G., Devenyi, D., Weygandt, S.S., Brundage, K.J., Brown, J.M., Grell, G.A., Kim, D., Schwartz, B.E., Smirnova, T.G., Smith, T.L., and Manikin, G.S., 2004: An hourly assimilation/forecast cycle: The RUC. Mon. Wea. Rev., 132, 495-518.
- Boudala, F. S., and Isaac, G. A., 2009: Parameterization of visibility in snow: Application in numerical weather prediction models. J. Geophys. Res., 114, D19202, doi: 10.1029/2008JD011130.
- Boudala, F. S., Isaac, G. A., Crawford, R., and Reid, J.., 2011: Parameterization of runway visual range as a function of visibility: Application in numerical weather prediction models, J. Atmos. Oceanic Technology., conditionally accepted.
- Bourgouin, P., 2000: A method to determine precipitation types. J. Weather and Forecasting, 15, 583-592.
- Brasseur, O., 2001: Development and application of a physical approach to estimating wind gusts. Mon. Wea. Rev., 129, 5-25.
- Côté, J., Gravel, S., Méthot, A., Patoine, A., Roch, M., and Staniforth, A., 1998a: The operation CMC-MRB Global Environmental Multiscale (GEM) model. Part I: Design considerations and formulation. Mon. Weather Rev. 126: 1373-1396.
- Cote, J, Desmarais, J.-G., Gravel, S., Methot, A., Patoine, A., Roch, M. and Staniforth, A., 1998b: The operational CMC-MRB global environmental multiscale (GEM) model. Part II: Results. Mon. Weather Rev. 126: 1397-1395.
- Golding, B.W., 1998: Nimrod: A system for generating automated very short range forecasts. Meteorol. Appl. 5, 1-16.
- Gultepe, I., and Milbrandt, J.A., 2010: Probabilistic Parameterizations of Visibility Using Observations of Rain Precipitation Rate, Relative Humidity, and Visibility. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology, 49, 36-46.
- Gultepe, M. Müller, D., and Boybeyi, Z., 2006: A new warm fog parameterization scheme for numerical weather prediction models. J. Appl. Meteor., 45, 1469-1480
- Hansen, B., 2007: A Fuzzy Logic-Based Analog Forecasting System for Ceiling and Visibility. Wea. Forecasting, 22, 1319-1330.
- Huang, L. X., Isaac, G., Sheng, G. Bailey, M. and Crawford, R., 2009: Dynamic Model Performance-Driven Weighting System for Nowcasting. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Information Reuse and Integration. August 10 - 12, 2009, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Isaac, G.A., Bailey, M., Cober, S.G., Donaldson, N., Driedger, N., Glazer, A., Gultepe, I., Hudak, D., Korolev, A., Reid, J., Rodriguez, P., Strapp, J. W. and Fabry, F., 2006: Airport Vicinity Icing and Snow Advisor. AIAA 44th Aerospace Sci. Meeting and Exhibit, Reno Nevada, 9-12 January 2006, AIAA-2006-1219.
- Mailhot, J.; Belair, S., Lefaivre, L., Bilodeau, B., Desgagne, M., Girard, C., Glazer, A., Leduc, A.-M., Methot, A., Patoine, A., Plante, A., Rahill, A., Robsinso, T., Talbot, D., Trembly, A., Vaillancourt, P., Zadra, A. and Qaddouri, A., 2006: The 15-km version of the Canadian regional forecast system. Atmosphere-Ocean, 44, 133-149.
- Milbrandt, J., Yau, M. K., Mailhot, J. and Belair, S., 2008: Simulation of an Orographic Precipitation Event during IMPROVE-2. Part I: Evaluation of the Control Run Using a Triple-Moment Bulk Microphysics Scheme, Mon. Wea. Rev., 136, 3873-3893.
- Milbrandt, J., Yau, M. K., Mailhot, J., Belair, S. and McTaggart-Cowan, R., 2010: Simulation of an Orographic Precipitation Event during IMPROVE-2. Part II: Sensitivity to the Number of Moments in the Bulk Microphysics Scheme, Mon. Wea. Rev., 138, 625-642.
- Rasmussen, R, Dixon, M., Hage, F., Cole, J., Wade, C., Turtle, J., McGettigan, S., Carty, T., Stevenson, L., Fellner, W., Knight, S., Karplus, E., and Rehak, N., 2001: Weather Support to Deicing Decision Making (WSDDM): A Winter Weather Nowcasting System. Bull. Amer. Met. Soc, 82, 579-595.
- Sheppard, B.E. and Joe, P. I., 2008: Performance of the Precipitation Occurrence Sensor System as a Precipitation Gauge. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technology, 25,196-212