This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Regional Comparison of Icing Conditions in Boundary Layer Clouds
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A large database is being created from icing flight programs completed by aircraft manufacturers for certification and by the NASA-Glenn Research Center for basic research. Although not yet complete, this database already provides an excellent opportunity to study aircraft icing conditions sampled in a wide variety of environments across eastern Canada and most of the United States, including Alaska. In this study, the focus is a comparison of conditions found within boundary-layer stratocumulus icing clouds over the Great Lakes, Pacific Northwest and Alaskan Interior. The clouds will be characterized in terms of temperature, liquid water content, median volumetric diameter, and drop concentration. Critical factors driving these parameters will be discussed.
CitationBernstein, B., Mcdonough, F., and Wolff, C., "A Regional Comparison of Icing Conditions in Boundary Layer Clouds," SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0021, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0021.
- Bernstein, B. C., Wolff, C. A., & McDonough, F., 2007: An inferred climatology of icing conditions aloft, including supercooled large drops. Part I: Canada and the Continental United States. J. Appl. Meteor., 46, 1857-1878.
- Petty, K. R., and Floyd, C. D. J., 2004: A statistical review of aviation airframe icing accidents in the U.S. Preprints, 11th Conf. on Aviation, Range and Aerospace, Hyannis, MA, Amer. Meteor. Soc, CD-ROM, 11.2.
- Federal Aviation Administration, 1999: U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, Title 14 (Aeronautics and Space), Part 25 (Air-worthiness Standard: Transport Category Airplanes), Appendix C. National Archives and Records Administration, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.
- Miller, D., Ratvasky, T., Bernstein, B., McDonough, F., and Strapp, J.W., 1998: NASA/FAA/NCAR Supercooled Large Droplet Icing Flight Research: Summary of Winter 96-97 Flight Operations. 36th Aerospace Science Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, 12-15 January. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Washington, D.C.
- Fowler, T.L., Chapman, M.B., Holmes, A., Brown, B.G., Mahoney, J.L., Braid, J.T., Boylan, P., 2006: Quality Assessment Report- Current Icing Potential (CIP): Probability, Severity, SLD. Report submitted to the FAA Aviation Weather Technology Transfer Board.
- Bernstein, B.C., McDonough, F., Politovich, M.K., Brown, B.G., Ratvasky, T.P., Miller, D.R., Wolff, C.A. and Cunning, G., 2005: Current Icing Potential (CIP): Algorithm Description and Comparison with Aircraft Observations. J. Appl. Meteor., 44, 969-986.
- Benjamin, S.G., Dévényi, D., Weygandt, S.S., Brundage, K.J., Brown, J.M., Grell, G.A., Kim, D., Schwartz, B.E., Smirnova, T.G.., Smith, T.L. and Manikin, G.S., 2004: An Hourly Assimilation-Forecast Cycle: The RUC. Mon. Wea. Rev., 132, 495-518.
- Bernstein, B.C., Omeron, T.A., McDonough, F. and Politovich, M.K., 1997: The relationship between aircraft icing and synoptic scale weather conditions. Wea. Forecasting, 12, 742-762.
- Haggerty, J.A., McDonough, F., Black, J., Landolt, S., Wolff, C., Mueller, S., Minnis, P., and Smith, W. L., 2008, Integration of satellite-derived cloud phase, cloud top height, and liquid water path into an operational aircraft icing nowcasting system. Proc. AMS 13th Conference on Aviation Range and Aerospace Meteorology, New Orleans, LA, 21-24 Jan.
- Isaac, G.A., Cober, S.G., Strapp, J.W., Hudak, D., Ratvasky, T.P., Marcotte, D.L. and Fabry, F., 2001: Preliminary Results from the Alliance Icing Research Study (AIRS). 39th Aerospace Science Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, 8-12 January. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Washington, D.C. AIAA 2001-0393.
- Lee, T. F., Turk, F. J., and Richardson, K., 1997: Stratus and fog products using GOES-8-9 3.9-m data. Wea. Forecasting, 12, 664-677.
- Ikeda, K., Rasmussen, R. M., Hall, W. D., and Thompson, G., 2007: Observations of freezing drizzle in extratropical cyclonic storms during IMPROVE-2. J. Atmos. Sci., 64, 3016-3043.
- Korolev, A.V., Isaac, G.A. and Strapp, J.W., 2006: Aircraft escape strategy from supercooled clouds. 44th Aerospace Science Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, 9-12 January. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Washington, D.C. AIAA 2006-265.
- Serke, D.J., Politovich, M.K., Reehorst, A.L. and Gayados, A., 2009: Use of the x-band radar to support the detection of in-flight icing hazards by the NASA Icing Remote Sensing System. NASA/TM-2009-215503. Available at http://gltrs.grc.nasa.gov/reports/2009/TM-2009-215503.pdf
- Bernstein, B.C., McDonough, F. and Wolff, C.A., 2004. Diagnosis of supercooled large drop conditions using cloud water content and drop concentration. 11th Conference on Aviation, Range and Aerospace Meteorology, Hyannis MA, 11-14 October, Amer. Meteor. Soc., Boston. Available on CD from the AMS.
- Minnis, P., Nguyen, L., Palikonda, R., Heck, P., Trepte, Q., Phan, D., Khaiyer, M., Smith, W.Jr., Murray, J., Haeffelin, M., 2005: Near real-time satellite cloud products for nowcasting applications. WWRP Symposium on Nowcasting and Very Short Range Forecasting, Toulouse, France, 5-9 September.
- Elmore, K.L., Kessinger, C.J., Schneider, T.L. and Smalley, D.J., 2004: The AWRP's Advanced Weather Radar Products Development Team. 11th Conference on Aviation, Range and Aerospace Meteorology, Hyannis MA, 11-14 October, Amer. Met. Soc., Boston. Available on CD from the AMS.
- Serke, D.J., McDonough, F. and Politovich, M., 2008: Analysis of 3-D NEXRAD Mosaic Reflectivity Data Colocated With Research Aircraft and Satellite Data: Implications on In-Flight Icing, 13th Conference on Aviation, Range and Aerospace Meteorology, New Orleans, LA, January 20-24, 2008. Available on CD and on-line from the AMS.
- Reehorst, A.L., Brinker, D.J., and Ratvasky, T.P., 2005: “NASA Icing Remote Sensing System: comparisons from AIRS-II,” NASA/TM-2005-213592.
- Thompson, G., Field, P.R., Hall, W.R., Rasmussen, R.M., 2008. Explicit forecasts of winter precipitation using an improved bulk microphysics scheme. Part II: implementation of a new snow parameterization. Mon. Wea. Rev. 136, 5095-5115.
- Chapman, M., Holmes, A. and Wolff, C., 2006: Verification of aviation icing algorithms from the second Alliance Icing Research Study. 12th Conference on Aviation, Range and Aerospace Meteorology, Atlanta, GA, 30 January - 2 February. PDF available at http://ams.confex.com/ams/Annual2006/techprogram/paper_104158.htm.
- Tendel, J. and Wolff, C., 2011: Verification of ADWICE In-Flight Icing Forecasts: Performance vs PIREPS Compared to FIP. SAE 2011 International Conference on Aircraft and Engine Icing and Ground Deicing, Chicago, 13-17 June.
- Cober, S.G. and Isaac, G.A., 2006: Estimating maximum aircraft icing environments using a large data base of in-situ observations. 44th Aerospace Science Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, 9-12 January. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Washington, D.C. AIAA 2006-266.