This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Oscillating Airfoil Icing Tests in the NASA Glenn Research Center Icing Research Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A team from the USA rotorcraft industry, NASA, and academia was established to create a validated high-fidelity computational fluid dynamics (CFD) icing tool for rotorcraft. Previous work showed that an oscillating blade with a periodic variation in angle of attack causes changes in the accreted ice shape and this makes a significant change in the airfoil drag. Although there is extensive data for ice accumulation on a stationary airfoil section, high-quality icing-tunnel data on an oscillating airfoil is scarce for validating the rotorcraft icing problem. In response to this need, a two-dimensional (2D) oscillating airfoil icing test was recently performed in the Icing Research Tunnel at the NASA Glenn Research Center. Three leading-edge specimens for an existing 15-inch chord test apparatus were designed and instrumented to provide the necessary data for the CFD code validation. The test apparatus was run in steady and oscillatory operation mode to collect data for variations in liquid water content, tunnel temperature, and airspeed. Data obtained from the test include ice tracings, photographs, surface pressure measurements, wake traverse data, and force balance data. This paper presents an overview of the test including model details, test instrumentation, sample results, and a summary of key findings.
CitationReinert, T., Flemming, R., Narducci, R., and Aubert, R., "Oscillating Airfoil Icing Tests in the NASA Glenn Research Center Icing Research Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0016, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-38-0016.
- Tsao, J.C. Kreeger, R.E. “Evaluation of Scaling Methods for Rotorcraft Icing,” American Helicopter Society 65th Annual Forum Grapevine, Texas May 27 29 2009
- Anderson, D.N. “Manual of Scaling Methods,” NASA/CR-2004-212875 March 2004
- Belte, D. Woratschek, R. “Helicopter Icing Spray System (HISS) Evaluation and Improvements,” Report No. AD-A170-732 US Army Aviation Systems Command April 1986
- Flemming, R.J. Lednicer, D.A. “High Speed Ice Accretion on Rotorcraft Airfoils,” NASA Contractor Report 3910 August 1985
- Flemming, R.J. “The past twenty years of icing research and development at Sikorsky Aircraft,” AIAA-2002-238, AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, 40th Reno, Nevada January 14 17 2002
- Flemming, R.J. Bond, T Britton, R. “Results of a Sub-scale Model Rotor Icing Test,” NASA TM 103709 and AIAA-91-0660 1 10 1991
- Britton, R. Flemming, R.J. Bond, T “An Overview of a Model Rotor icing Test in the NASA Lewis Icing Research Tunnel,” AIAA-94-0716 1 13 1994
- Narducci, Robert Kreeger, Eric “Analysis of a Hovering Rotor in Icing Conditions,” American Helicopter Society 66th Annual Forum Phoenix, AZ May 11 13 2010
- Narducci, R. Orr, S. Kreeger, R.E. “Application of a High-Fidelity Icing Analysis Method to a Model-Scale Rotor in Forward Flight,” American Helicopter Society 67th Annual Forum Virginia Beach, VA May 3 5 2011
- Aubert, R. Wright, J. “Challenges in Predicting Rotor Blade Ice Protection Coverage Extent using Alternate Flow Solver and Lewice3D,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0014 2011 10.4271/2011-38-0014
- Narducci, R. Reinert, T. “Calculations of Ice Shapes on Oscillating Airfoils,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0015 2011 10.4271/2011-38-0015
- Soeder, R.H. Sheldon, D.W. et al “NASA Glenn Icing Research Tunnel User Manual,” NASA Technical Memorandum 2003-212004 September 2003
- Ide, R.F. “Operating Envelopes and Calculation Procedure for Spray Settings for the NASA Lewis Icing Research Tunnel,” January 1 1998
- Flemming, R. J. “Test Plan For The CFD Validation Icing Tests Of An Oscillating Airfoil In The NASA Glenn Research Center icing Research Tunnel,” Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation Report SER-510573
- Bain, J. Sankar, L. Aubert, R. Flemming, R. “A Methodology for the Prediction of Rotor Blade Ice Formation and Shedding,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-38-0090 2011 10.4271/2011-38-0090
- Flemming, R.J. Parsons, T. “Rotor Airfoil Ice Protection Systems, Final Report For 1997-1999 NRTC/RITA Icing Projects,” Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation Report SER-510490 and Bell Helicopter Textron Report No. 699-099-512