This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rapid Compression Machine Tests for Brazilian Otto Cycle Fuels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 04, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Rapid Compression Machine (RCM) is an experimental tool developed to study engine combustion parameters. The RCM used is a pneumatically and hydraulically driven device which reproduces a single combustion shot, considering a compression and a partial expansion stroke. This paper describes RCM adaptations made in order to run Otto cycle tests using Brazilian regular gasoline (E25) . These adaptations enable pre-vaporized air-fuel mixture combustion tests, representative of port fuel injection engines, by using a gasoline direct injection (GDI) injector. It is also presented RCM piston displacement and cylinder pressure comparisons to a real engine and RCM comparative results for different spark timings and compression ratios. These results show that RCM reproduced satisfactorily piston displacement and pressure curves during the combustion shots, when compared to real engine curves. It also shows that RCM changes in spark timing and compression ratios followed the same trends that were expected by engines’ theory. It was possible to confirm that RCM is able to reproduce engine combustion, using very small fuel volume and changing parameters that are not easily and quickly adjusted in a conventional engine test bench. These aspects may reduce research and development time and cost.
CitationVillela, A., Eg\ausquiza, J., Machado, G., and Braga, S., "Rapid Compression Machine Tests for Brazilian Otto Cycle Fuels," SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0349, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-36-0349.
- ANP 2001 Brazilian Automotive Gasoline Specifications Oil, Natural Gas and Biofuels National Agency Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
- Mittal, G. Sung, C. Combustion and Flame 150 2007 355 368
- He, X. Zigler, B.T. Walton, S.M. Wooldridge, M.S. Atreya, A. Combustion and Flame 145 2006 552 570
- He, X. Donovan, M.T. Zigler, B.T. Palmer, T.R. Walton, S.M. Wooldridge, M.S. Atreya, A. Combustion and Flame 142 2005 266 275
- Walton, S.M. He, X. Zigler, B.T. Wooldridge, M.S. Atreya, A. Combustion and Flame 150 2007 246 262
- Pöschl, M. Sattelmayer, T. Combustion and Flame 153 2008 562 573
- Eisen, S. Ph.D. thesis Visualisierung der dieselmotorischen Verbrennung in einer schnellen Kompressionsmaschine Lehrstuhl A für Thermodynamik, Technische Universität München, Germany 2003 165
- Heywood, J. B. 1988 Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals 1 New York, USA McGraw-Hill