This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Requirements Based Approach to Future Aeronautical Navigation Systems Based on Global Navigation Satellite Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 04, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The increasing use of Global Navigation Satellite Systems-GNSS in future Aeronautical Navigation Systems-ANS is a current trend in the aeronautical operation and regulation communities. This trend implies the adoption of elements and interactions of a degree of complexity that is still being discussed around the world. Faced with that, we believe that a requirements based approach is an effective tool to deal with such highly complex and integrated systems. In this work we discuss a requirements based approach to future Aeronautical Navigation Systems based on Global Navigation Satellite Systems. To do that, we first briefly present the concept of Communication, Navigation, Surveillance/Air Traffic Management - CNS/ATM, and the current and potential benefits of the adoption of its paradigms. Then, we discuss the use of a requirements based approach in the application of this concept to develop ANS, taking into account that: 1) often, the GNSS ground and space segments are already available, and the airborne segment is the one to be developed; 2) any system to be developed in this area must be considered as part of a system of systems constituted of the three segments; and 3) other interactions must be taken into account. This approach enable us to: 1) identify some relevant implications and interactions that we may miss in a Component Engineering approach; and 2) define a more effective and complete basis of high level requirements to accomplish the objectives related to safety and performance in Aviation.
CitationAdinolfi, A. and de Oliveira e Souza, M., "A Requirements Based Approach to Future Aeronautical Navigation Systems Based on Global Navigation Satellite Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0216, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-36-0216.
- FAA Airworthiness Approval of Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) Equipment December 22 2003
- FAA Airworthiness Approval of Positioning and Navigation Systems September 22 2010
- FAA Roadmap for Performance Based Navigation - Evolution for Area Navigation (RNAV) and Required Navigation Performance (RNP) Capabilities - 2006-2025 July 2006
- RTCA NextGen Mid-Term Implementation Task Force Report September 9 2009
- FAA Order 8260.52 - United Stated Standard for Required Navigation Performance (RNP) Approach Procedures with Special Aircraft and Aircrew Authorization Required (SAAAR) June 3 2005
- Loureiro, G. Adinolfi, A. G. Ribeiro, C. E. V. Andrade, R. C. B. Systems Concurrent Engineering to Develop an Aeronautical Navigation System Product: Management & Development 8 2 December 2010
- Performance-based Navigation (PBN) Manual International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Third 2008
- FAA Airworthiness Approval of Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast (ADS-B) Out Systems May 21 2010
- FAA Guidelines for Design Approval of Aircraft Data Link Communication Services Supporting Air Traffic Services (ATS) April 7 2010
- FAA System Design and Analysis May 21 1988
- FAA Approval Guidance for RNP Procedures with SAAAR December 15 2005