This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Alternative Composite Material for Replacement of Fiberglass Laminates Used in the Manufacture of Car Body Vehicle Prototypes
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 04, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Development of alternative composite material with matrix and fiber phases of plant roots as a sustainable alternative to commonly used fiberglass laminates are widely used in the manufacture of car body vehicle prototypes. The goal is to replace the composites using glass fiber as fiber phase and commonly used epoxy or polyester resin as the matrix phase due to its handling problems, which can cause respiratory illnesses, allergies, contamination of workplace and environmental pollution after its disposal in nature. The composite developed uses jute fiber as phase-shaped screen and a resin derived from castor plant origin as the matrix phase. The results were enough to replace the laminated fiberglass. We came to an experimental result of a magnitude of flexural strength of five times lower, compared with a laminate of fiberglass, as calculated and serves referred to requests for non-structural body of a prototype vehicle for the rally.
CitationPaiva, A. and Camara, J., "Alternative Composite Material for Replacement of Fiberglass Laminates Used in the Manufacture of Car Body Vehicle Prototypes," SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0160, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-36-0160.
- Callister, William D. Jr. Materials Science and Engineering An Introduction 5 a John Wiley & Sons 1999 589
- ABMACO Associação Brasileira de Materiais Compósitos Compósitos I - Materiais, Processos, Aplicações e Tendências 2010
- Concise Encyclopedia of Composite Material Kelly, A. Pergamon Oxford, UK 1994
- Tucker, Nick Lindsey, Kevin An Introduction to Automotive Composites Rapra Technology Limited 1 17 2002
- CGEE - Centro de Gestão e Estudos Estratégicos. Ciência, Tecnologia e Inovação Biopolímeros e Intermediários Químicos São Paulo 2006
- Kennerly, J.R. et al. The characterization and reuse of glass fibers recycled from scrap composites by the action of a fluidized bed process Composites 29A 839 845 1998
- Jutaecia Website of the jute fiber commercialization in Brazil http://www.jutaecia.com/tela-de-juta August 16 2010
- SNYDER, C.H. The extraordinary chemistry of ordinary things 2 New York John Wiley & Sons 1995
- CANGEMI, J.M. Biodegradação de poliuretano derivado do óleo de mamona 2006. Tese (Doutorado) Instituto de Química de São Carlos, Universidade de São Paulo São Carlos 2006
- Ergonomic Analysis Area Courtesy Fiat Product Engineering Brazil
- Bhaja Rally Team Website of the construction rally vehicle www.bhaja.com.br August 17 2011