This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Innovation Flow and Metrics Essentials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 04, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The innovation term has been so widely misused that the confusion observed among the companies trying to get themselves into the innovation realm is a common and natural consequence. The lack of understanding of the innovation dynamics, flow and metrics generally culminate in a non-well-thought implementation of innovation processes and policies that are usually tragic in the short term. The most common consequences are the loss of credibility of the innovation process in general among leaders and employees, and the loss of credibility of the company as an innovative company among suppliers, partners and customers, causing these companies to abandon this powerful tool and, as consequence, to limit their capabilities to compete in the future.
In order to prevent this from happening, companies that were not built upon innovation will need to grow capability and change cultural priorities to match the demands of the innovation process. Although this task is rather more complex than the previous sentence implies, it is imperative to start by understanding how the process works and the steps required to enable and to transform ideas into profitable products thru intelligent selection of the projects in a competing budget.
This paper attempts to ease this path by structuring the innovation flow and ramifications while presenting the organization structure and potential metrics to control the successful implementation of the innovation process throughout the company. These flow, structure and metrics are built around the enablers for a reliable implementation of each step of the process and should then serve as a reference for adjusting companies' organization capabilities and culture to become a true innovative company.
|Technical Paper||Analysis and Assessment of Automobiles With Regard to the Requirements of Design for Recycling|
|Technical Paper||TOP+ - Setting Goals and Achieving Results|
|Book||Fundamentals of Integrated Vehicle Realization|
CitationVollet, R., "Innovation Flow and Metrics Essentials," SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0147, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-36-0147.
- BROWN, J. S. HAGEL, J. III Creation nets: getting the most from open innovation The McKinsey Quarterly 2 2006
- BT Embracing open innovation: a new approach to creating sustainable value http://www.networked.bt.com/displayW.php?id=NmRkZjYzY2U4MDNhMTgyMjNmNWIxMjFiMzhkYjU0MTQ= Apr 21 st 2008
- CHESBROUGH, H. Open innovation: the new imperative for creating and profiting from technology Boston, Massachusetts Harvard Business Review Press 2003
- CHRISTENSEN, C. M. The innovator's dilemma Boston, Massachusetts Harvard Business School Press 1997
- FREDBERG, T. ELMQUIST, M. OLLILA, S. Managing open innovation: present findins and future directions VINNOVA Report VR 2008:02 Apr 21 2008 http://www.vinnova.se/upload/EPiStorePDF/vr-08-02.pdf
- HANSEN, M. T. BIRKINSHAW, J. “A cadeia de valor da inovação” Harvard Business Review, REPRINT R0706H-P 85 6 84 93 2007
- KIM, W.C. MAUBORGNE, R. “A Estratégia do Oceano Azul” Editora Campus 16a 2005 978-85-352-1524-3
- MILLER, W. L. Innovation for business growth Research Technology Management 44 5 26 40 2001
- OECD Oslo Manual: proposed guidelines for collecting and interpreting technological innovation data OECD 2005 http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/35/61/2367580.pdf Jan 29 th 2008
- REVOREDO, L. “O grande equívoco da inovação” HSM Portal São Paulo Jun 26 2007 Apr 12 2008 http://www.hsm.com.br/editorias/inovacao/artigoinovacaopg1_260607.php?marcabusca=equivoco+inovacao#marcabusca
- RODRIGUES, L. M. P. SANTOS, L. R. S. VOLLET, R. “Inovação Aberta na Era da Conectividade.” Dissertation filed at FIA (“Fundação Instituto de Admnistração”) São Paulo July 2008
- SAWHNEY, M. WOLCOTT, R. ARRONIZ, I. “As 12 dimensões da inovação.” HSM Management 10 60 104 112 2007
- SHAPIRO, S. M. The evolution of innovation 2002 Jan 29 th 2008 http://www.steveshapiro.com/pdfs/evolution.pdf 29 jan. 2008