This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of the Swelling in Lip Seal Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 04, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
There are large numbers of variables that affect seal performance, for example, temperature, grease and dusty. This paper aims the study one of these variables, the swelling. Swelling is the absorption of the liquid by the rubber and this liquid absorption can deeply alter physical and chemical properties and hence change tensile strength, extensibility and hardness of the rubber. A review about seal and the characteristics of the seal performance will be made and also a study about what this phenomenon affects the seal performance. Thus the purpose of the present paper is to develop the conception of swelling by investigating the characteristics of swelling deformation.
CitationSilva, L., Siqueira, E., Gioria, G., and Silva, A., "Study of the Swelling in Lip Seal Application," SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0093, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-36-0093.
- DIN 53521 “Determiation of the behaviour of rubber and elastomers when exposed to fluids and vapours” Deutsche Norm 1987 14
- Kummnuantip, C. Sombatsompop, N. “Dynamic mechanical properties and swelling behaviour of NR/reclaimed rubber blends” Materials Letters 57 2003 3167 3174
- Sombatsompop, N. “Investigation of Swelling Behavior of NR Vulcanisates” Polym-Plast Technol. Eng. 37 1998 19 39
- Johnston, D. E. “Design aspects of modern rotary shaft seals” IMechE 213 1999 203 213
- Salant, R. F. “Theory of lubrication of elastomeric rotary shaft seals” IMechE 213 1999 189 201
- Flitney, Robert “Seals and Sealing Handbook” Fifth Elsevier 2007 620
- Chandsekaran, Chellapa “Rubber Seals for Fluid and Hydraulic Systems” Elsevier 2010 148
- Baart, P et. al. “Review of the lubrication, sealing, and pumping mechanisms in oil- and grease-lubricated radial lip seal” Proc. IMechE 223 2009 347 358
- Schaeffler Group Industrial “Product Catalogue” http://medias.schaeffler.com/medias/en!hp/ 2011
- Horve, Les “Shaft Seals for Dynamic Applications” CRC Press 1996 463
- Booser, Richard E. “CRC Handbook of Lubrication: Theory and Practice of Tribology, Volume II: Theory and Design” CRC Press 1988 645
- ISO 1817 “Rubber, vulcanized - Determination of the effect of liquids” 2006 15
- Minitab Meet Minitab release 15 for Windows Minitab Inc 2006 138