This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design for Assembly Study Case: Automotive Fuel Intake Cover
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 04, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Purpose: In the case study presented, the DFA (Design for Assembly) technique is applied to an automotive fuel intake cover of a currently produced vehicle in order to simplify the current product design.
Design/methodology/approach: DFMA and Lucas methodology, which is used in this study, can be adopted not only for the development phase of new products, but also for already developed products, reducing the number of components and the costs.
Findings: The Lucas methodology approach for the DFMA has been applied in a successful way to improve a fuel intake cover.
Research limitations/implications: Only a prototype part was tested. More specimens must be tested to validate final design.
Practical implications: The application of this technique allowed a product cost saving of 10%, a tooling saving of 5%, and a significant product simplification without losing its original functionality.
Originality/value A brief historical report and the scientific fundaments of this methodology are presented and a case study was performed as a didactic experiment.
|Aerospace Standard||Aerospace Series – Notice of Change (NOC) Requirements|
|Technical Paper||Safety Element out of Context - A Practical Approach|
|Technical Paper||Challenges in the Regulatory Framework of Automated Driving|
CitationSarmento, A., Marana, E., Batalha, G., and Stoeterau, R., "Design for Assembly Study Case: Automotive Fuel Intake Cover," SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0046, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-36-0046.
- Paul, G. Beitz, W. “Engineering Design - a Systematic Approach” Londres Spring Verlag 1996
- Krause, W. “Geräte Konstruktion in Feinwerktechnik und Eletronik” Fachbuchverlag Leipzig 2000
- Krause, W. “Konstruktionselemente der Feinmechanik” Hanser Fachbuchverlag 2004
- Rozenfeld, H. Forcellini, F.A. et. al. Gestão do Desenvolvimento de Produtos Saraiva 2006 1 542
- Boothroyd, G. Dewhrust, P. Knight, W. “Product Design for Manufacture and Assembly” 1 New York Marcel Dekker, Inc. 1994
- Baxter, M “Product design: practical methods for the systematic development of new products” Stanley Thornes UK 1999
- Ulrich, K. Eppinger, S. “Product Design and Development” Boston, MA Irwin McGraw-Hill 2000
- Dodd, C.W. “Design for ‘X’” IEEE Potentials October 1992 44 46
- Barbosa, G. F. Aplicação da metodologia DFMA - Design for Manufacturing and Assembly no projeto e fabricação de aeronaves 165 Master Degree Dissertation USP - EESC São Carlos, SP, Brazil 2007
- Boothroyd, G. Product design for manufacture and assembly Computer-aided Design Kingston 26 505 20 1994
- Boothroyd, G. Dewrhust INC. Design For Assembly Simplicity Pays Off http://www.dfma.com/software/dfa.htm march 20 2009
- Eskilander, S. Design for Automatic Assembly - A Method for Product Design: DFA2 Doctor Thesis Royal Institute of Technology, Division of Assembly Systems Stockholm, Sweden 2001 190
- Iwaya, L. H. Desenvolvimento de uma aplicação de apoio ao projeto para montagem 100 Final semestre monography mechanical engineering UDESC, Universidade do Estado de Santa Catarina Joinville, SC, Brazil 2009
- Kaminsky, P. C. Desenvolvendo produtos com planejamento, criatividade e qualidade Rio de Janeiro Livros Técnicos e Científicos Editora S.A. 2000 132
- Krumenauer, F. Z. Matayoshi, C.T. Silva, I. B. Filho, M. Stipkovic Batalha, G. F. Concurrent Engineering and DFMA approaches on the development of automotive panels and doors Journal of Achievements in Materials and Manufacturing Engineering 31 690 8 2008
- Lange, Ch. Etude Physique et Modelisation Numerique du Procede de Sertisage de Pieces de Carrosserie Doctor thesis ENSMP Paris, França 2006 38
- LePochat, S. Integration de l'eco-conception dans les PME: Proposition d'une méthode d'appropriation de savoir-faire pour la conception environnementale des produits Tese de doutorado, especialidade em engenharia industrial École Nationale Supérieure d'Arts et Métiers ENSAM Paris, France 2005 289
- Matayoshi, C.T. Batalha, G. F. Estudo de Influência dos requisitos de processo e ciclo de vida no desenvolvimento de peças estampadas automotivas 24 Escola Politécnica, University of Sao Paulo Sao Paulo, Brazil 2007
- DFA software developed by IWAYA  based on Lucas Methodology http://www.leansolutions.com.br/