This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Analysis of Carbon Monoxide Formation in DME Combustion
Published November 08, 2011 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
Dimethyl ether (DME) is an oxygenated fuel with the molecular formula CH₃OCH₃, economically produced from various energy sources, such as natural gas, coal and biomass. It has gained prominence as a substitute for diesel fuel in Japan and in other Asian countries, from the viewpoint of both energy diversification and environmental protection. The greatest advantage of DME is that it emits practically no particulate matter when used in compression ignition (CI) engine. However, one of the drawbacks of DME CI engine is the increase carbon monoxide (CO) emission in high-load and high exhaust gas circulation (EGR) regime.
In this study, we have investigated the CO formation characteristics of DME CI combustion based on chemical kinetics. In order to understand the equivalence ratio (φ) - temperature (T) dependence of CO formation in DME combustion, we generated the CO φ-T map through numerical calculations with detailed chemical reaction models and compared it with that of methane combustion.
Our results show that DME combustion has a local CO peak at a temperature of around 1000 K, which is a distinctive feature of DME, although general CO formation properties are not unlike those of methane combustion, in which the CO emission increases with temperature and equivalence ratio. The analysis of reaction paths shows that this local CO peak is produced by active low-temperature reactions during DME oxidation process.
CitationMuramatsu, Y., Oguma, M., Yanai, T., and Konno, M., "Numerical Analysis of Carbon Monoxide Formation in DME Combustion," SAE Technical Paper 2011-32-0632, 2011.
- Nabi, Md. Nurun Minami, Masahiro Ogawa, Hideyuki Miyamoto, Noboru “Ultra Low Emission and High Performance Diesel Combustion with Highly Oxygenated Fuel” SAE Paper, No. 2000-01-0231 2000
- Sato, Yoshio Noda, Akira Sakamoto, Takashi Goto, Yuichi “Performance and Emission Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine Operated on Dimethyl Ether Applying EGR with Supercharging” SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1809 2000
- Kajitani, S. Chen, Z. L. Konno, M. Rhee, K. T. “Engine Performance and Exhaust Gas Characteristics of Direct-Injection Engine Operated DME” SAE Paper No. 972973 1997
- Konno, Mitsuru Kajitani, Shuichi Chen, Zhili Yoneda, Kenji Matsui, Hiroki Goto, Shinichi “Investigation of the Combustion Process of a DI CI Engine Fueled with Dimethyl Ether” SAE Paper No. 2001-01-3504 2001
- Oguma, Mitsuharu Goto, Shinichi Watanabe, Tomoko “Engine performance and Emission characteristics of DME Diesel Engine in line DME Injection Pump Developed for DME” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-1863 2004
- Oguma, Mitsuharu Goto, Shinichi Suzuki, Sinichi Watanabe, Tomoko “Evaluation of DME Diesel Engine with Jerk Type Inline Injection Pump” Journal of JSAE 36 2 31 37 2005
- Oguma, Mitsuharu Goto, Shinichi Nishimura, Terukazu Mikita, Yasuhiko “Effect of Impurities on DME Powered Diesel Engine Performances - Emission Characteristics on Transient Conditions -” Transaction of JSAE, 20095492, No.12-09 21 24 2009
- Kamimoto, Takeyuki Bae, Myurng-hoan “High Combustion Temperature for the Reduction of Particulate in Diesel Engines” SAE paper No. 880423 1988
- Akihama, Kazuhiro Takatori, Yoshiki Inagaki, Kazuhisa Sasaki, Shizuo Dean, Anthony M. “Mechanism of the Smokeless Rich Diesel Combustion By Reducing Temperature” SAE Paper No. 2001-01-0655 2001
- Bergman, Miriam Golovitchev, Valeri I. “Application of Transient Temperature vs. Equivalence Ratio Emission Maps to Engine Simulations” SAE Paper No. 2007-01-1086 2007
- Kitamura, T. Ito, T. Senda, J. Fujimoto, H. “Mechanism of Smokeless Diesel combustion with Equivalence ratio and Temperature on Soot Particle Formation” Int, J. Engine Research 3-4 223 248 2002
- Kitamura, Takaaki Ito, Takayuki Kitamura, Yasutaka Ueda, Masato Senda, Jiro Fujimoto, Hajime “Soot Kinetic Modeling and Empirical Validation on Smokeless Diesel Combustion With Oxygenated Fuels” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-1789 2003
- Curran, H. J. Fischer, S. L. Dryer, F. L. The Reaction Kinetics of Dimethyl Ether. II : Low Temperature Oxidation in Flow Reactors International Journal of Chemical Kinetics 32 12 741 759 2000
- GRI-Mech http://www.me.berkeley.edu/gri_mech/ 2010 6 20
- Curran, H. J. Pitz, W. J. Westbrook, C. K. Dagaut, P. Boettner, JC. Cathonnet, M. A Wide Range Modeling Study of Dimethyl Ether Oxidation International Journal of Chemical Kinetics 30 3 229 241 1998
- Konno, Mitsuru Chiba, Kazuki Okamoto, Takeshi “Experimental and Numerical Analysis of High Pressure DME Spray” SAE Paper No. 2010-01-0880 2010