This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Methodical Approach for Thermal Management Simulation of Hybrid Powersport Application
Published November 08, 2011 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
Within the automotive sector, the hybridization of the powertrain is well investigated and first announcements about mass production start dates have been made. Studies have shown that improvements regarding fuel economy and emission are possible. This potential and additional positive effects regarding driving performance should also be gained for the power-sport sector, even though very few investigations have been performed for this vehicle class. Though the requirements for a power-sport drivetrain differ from that of the automobile sector due to the high demand on the transient behavior, intense investigations have been started.
The use of a complete vehicle simulation during the development of a hybrid vehicle is advantageous in the early phase and in the pre series calibration phase. The foreground topic for the simulation of a conventional powertrain is the power and torque distribution. For hybrid architecture it is additionally necessary to focus on the thermodynamic energy flows between the single components .
This publication covers the development of a complete vehicle simulation for a power sport vehicle based on a longitudinal dynamics simulation. The research was performed by a research consortium under the patronage of the ECO-PowerDrive project, which is funded by the Austrian government within the COMET excellence initiative. Focus of the enhancements were based on the existing models, the modular setup, a methodology for data exchange between the partners as well as the integration of a basic thermo-management model . Within this paper, the description of a power-sport vehicle with respect to its thermal behavior and the thermal analysis and assessment is treated exemplarily.
During the development of a hybrid vehicle it is important that all energy flows are known in quality and quantity in order to estimate the potential of the single components as there are internal combustion engine, power electronics, battery and e-motor. As a consequence of these estimations an effective operating strategy can be found.
CitationSchmidt, S., Rieger, P., Trattner, A., Kirchberger, R. et al., "A Methodical Approach for Thermal Management Simulation of Hybrid Powersport Application," SAE Technical Paper 2011-32-0586, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-32-0586.
- SPIEGEL, L. KERKAU, M. BOFINGER, G. MÜLLER, St. MEIER, R. NEUSSER, H.-J. Powertrain Management in Sports Cars in Order to Reduce Fuel Consumption 29. Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium 2008
- METZNER, F.-T. HADLER, J. STIEBELS, B. JAECKEL, T. CAESAR, L. Innovative Temperature Management as Used in the New Volkswagen Touareg 19. Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeug- und Motorentechnik 2010
- Directive 97/24/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on certain components and characteristics of two or three-wheel motor vehicles 1997
- Delphi Automotive LLP Delphi Brochure 2011/12 Passenger Cars & Light Duty Vehicles 2011 www.delphi.com
- Wukisiewitch, W. Leiber, St. Powersports Drivetrains Challenged by the Conflicting Demands of Power Density, Efficiency and Future Emission Standards 12. Tagung “Der Arbeitsprozess des Verbrennungsmotors” 2009
- http://spyder.brp.com/de-DE/See/Can-Am/Downloads/ Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. 2010 08 05
- DUTZLER, C. HEIZINGER, G. Holistic Model-Based Development Process SAE Technical Paper 2010-32-0036 2010
- WITTE, L. PFEIFFER, M. BRODBECK, P. BRAUN, H. STOHWASSER, A. TRAN-XUAN, H. Methods for the Design and Test of Drivelines 1st International Symposium on Development Methology Wiesbaden 2005
- HOFMANN, P. Hybridfahrzeuge Springer 2010
- http://www.mathworks.de/products/simulink/ The MathWorks Inc. 2011
- SCHIELE, T. HUBER, K. SCHLLÜTER, W. LUTTERMANN, Ch. BARGENDE, M. Hardware-in-the-Loop simulation for the virtual calibration of control functions for the coordination between engine and electrical system 8. Stuttgarter Symposium 2008
- WINKLER, D. GÜHMANN, C. Hardware-in-the-Loop simulation of a hybrid electric vehicle using Modelicar/Dymolar http://www.mathpros.com/papers/hybrid/Hardware_in_the_Loop_Simulation_of_a_Hybrid_Electric_Vehicle_using_Modelica_and_Dymola.pdf March 2010
- HAUPT, Ch. WACHTMEISTER, G. HÜBNER, W. Die Gesamtfahrzeugsimulation als Werkzeug zur Bewertung von Thermomanagementmaßnahmen 8. Stuttgarter Symposium 2008
- VON BÖCKH, P WETZEL, T. Wärmeübertragung Springer 2009
- VDI-Gesellschaft: VDI-Heat Atlas 2 Springer 2010
- KELZ, G. Innovative Fahrzeugantriebe-Elektrische Traktionsantriebe im KFZ Skriptum, TU Graz 2010