This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigation in Combustion Characteristics of Ethanol-gasoline Blends for Stratified Charge Engine
Published November 08, 2011 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
The increasing of global energy demand and stringent pollution regulations have promoted research on alternative fuels. In Thailand, ethanol, can be produced from many sources of national agriculture products as renewable fuel, which was strongly promoted by government due to its many merits for use in transportation field. In this study, combustion characteristics of ethanol-gasoline blend (20%, 85%, and 100%) as well as pure gasoline (E0) were investigated by using a swirl-generated constant volume combustion chamber. Flame propagations of different fuel blends were observed by high speed Schlieren photography technique while pressure history data were recorded for detailed combustion analysis. Combustion behavior, combustion duration and rate of pressure rise of all tested fuels were investigated in various swirl intensities and equivalence ratios. In addition, effect of swirl intensities and ethanol concentration on lean misfire limit were also discussed. The results showed that the high concentration of ethanol blend with the high swirl intensity can significantly extended lean misfire limit while lowering combustion variations. Furthermore, combustion duration can be accelerated by increasing the percentage of ethanol in fuel blend. Through this study, a better understanding of stratified charge combustion fuelled with ethanol/gasoline blends can be achieved.
- Chinda Charoenphonphanich - King Mongkut's Institute of Technology
- Piyaboot Ornman - King Mongkut's Institute of Technology
- Preechar Karin - King Mongkut's Institute of Technology
- Hidenori Kosaka - Tokyo Institute of Technology
- Nuwong Chollacoop - National Metal and Materials Technology Center (MTEC)
CitationCharoenphonphanich, C., Ornman, P., Karin, P., Kosaka, H. et al., "Experimental Investigation in Combustion Characteristics of Ethanol-gasoline Blends for Stratified Charge Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-32-0551, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-32-0551.
- Thummarat Thummadetsak, C.T. Umaporn Wongjareonpanit and Pakasit Monnum, Thailand Fuel Performance and Emissions in Flex Fuel Vehicles SAE paper No. 2010-01-2132 2010
- Heywood, J.B. INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE FUNDAMENTALS 1988 McGraw-Hill
- Bayraktar, H. Theoretical investigation of flame propagation process in an SI engine running on gasoline- ethanol blends Renewable Energy 32 2007 758 771 2007
- Harry, L. Husted, W.P.a.G.R. Fuel Efficiency Improvements from Lean, Stratified Combustion with a Solenoid Injector SAE paper No. 2009-01-1485 2009
- Zhao, F. L., M.-C. Harrington, D.L. Automotive spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 1999 Elsevier Science Ltd.
- Germane, Geoff J. W., C.G. Hess, Clay C. Lean Combustion in Spark-Ignited Internal Combustion Engines - A Review SAE paper No. 831694 1983
- Naoki Shiraishi, K.S. Nagasaka, Syoji Takano, Takayoshi Sami, Hiroshi A Study on Direct Injection Gasoline Combustion using Constant Volume Combustion Vessel The Fifth International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines (COMODIA 2001) 2001
- Huang, Z. Ueda, S.S., T. Nakamura, H. Ishima, T. Obokata, T. Effect of Fuel Injection Timing Relative to Ignition Timing on the Natural-Gas Direct-Injection Combustion Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 2003
- Kihyung Lee, C.L. Jeoung, Haeyoung A Study on the Effect of Stratified Mixture Formation on Combustion Characteristics in a Constant Volume Combustion Chamber JSME International Journal 48 2009
- Jinhua Wang, Z.H. Miao, Haiyan Wang, Xibin Jiang, Deming Study of cyclic variations of direct-injection combustion fueled with natural gas-hydrogen blends using a constant volume vessel international journal of hydrogen energy 33 2008 7580 7591 2008
- Myung Yoon Kim, D.S.K. Lee, Chang Sik Effect of Residual Gas Fraction on the Combustion Characteristics of Butane-Air Mixtures in the Constant-Volume Chamber Energy & Fuels 2003 17 755 761 2003
- Jian Gao, D.J. Huang, Zuohua Spray properties of alternative fuels: A comparative analysis of ethanol- gasoline blends and gasoline Fuel 86 2007 1645 1650 2007
- Eiji Tomita, A.N. Kawahara, Nobuyuki Effects of Swirl Flow and Inhomogeneous Concentration Fields on Combustion of Propane-Air Mixture in a Constant-Volume Vessel JSAE paper No.700-8530 2000
- Masahiko Fujimoto, M.T. Effect of Swirl Rate on Mixture Formation in a Spark Ignition Engine Based on Laser 2-D Visualization Techniques SAE paper No. 931905 1993