This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of the Hardware-in-the Loop Simulator for Evaluating Performance of EPS System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2011 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
In this paper, the hardware-in-the loop simulator which is used for evaluating performance of the EPS (Electric Power Steering) system has been developed. The HILS system consists of the steering system of the light commercial vehicle - the steering wheel, the EPS module, the universal joint, and the rack bar. These components were placed in proper spaces based on location of their hard points in an actual vehicle. An electric servo motor has been used for generating the road reaction force which is generated by vehicle's kingpin moment. A real-time simulation environment has been developed using CarSim to evaluate performance of EPS through various handling tests. For verifying reliability of the HILS system, various handling tests were performed and compared with the results of actual vehicle tests in the proving ground. Through the developed EPS HILS system, various handling tests were successfully performed in the laboratory.
|Technical Paper||Sliding-Mode Return Control of Electric Power Steering|
|Technical Paper||The Development and Verification of Hardware-in-the-loop Test-bench of Electrically Controlled Steering System|
CitationKwon, J. and Park, K., "Development of the Hardware-in-the Loop Simulator for Evaluating Performance of EPS System," SAE Technical Paper 2011-28-0139, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-28-0139.
- Toyohira, Tomoya Nakamura, Koji Tanno, Yuya “The Validity of EPS Control System Development using HILS” International Journal of SAE, 2010-01-0008
- Yamazaki, I. Kushiro, I. Kunihiro, Y. “Electronic Power Steering Compensating Control for Influence of Vehicle Dynamics on Steering Torque,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2 1 239 246 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0049
- Gillespie, Thomas D. “Using Vehicle Dynamics Simulation as a Teaching Tool in Automotive Engineering Courses” SAE World Congress, 2005-01-1795
- Reimpell, J. Stoll, H. Betzler, J.W. “The Automotive Chassis:Engineering Principles(Second Edition)” SAE International 0-7680-0657-0
- Henkel, Andrew Robert Bosch GmbH “The Bosch Steering Angle Sensor as a technical Solution for Multi-dimensional requirements” Chassis systems control 2006
- Norman, Kenneth D. “Objective Evaluation of On-Center Handling Performance” International Congress & Exposition, 840069
- Amberkar, Sanket Kushion, Mark Eschtruth, Kirt Bolourchi, Farhad “Diagnostic Development for an Electric Power Steering System” SAE 2000 World Congress, 2000-01-0819
- Kinjawadekar, Tejas Dixit, Heha Heydinger, Gary J. Guenther, Dennis A. “Vehicle Dynamics Modeling and Validation of the 2003 Ford Expedition with ESC using CaSim” SAE International, 2009-01-0452
- Norman, K. D. “Objective Evaluation of On-Centre Handling Performance” SAE Paper No. 840069 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1984
- Kurishige, M. et al. “A New EPS Control Strategy To Improve Steering Wheel Returnability” SAE Paper 2000-01-0815 2000