This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation on the Effect of Coolant Temperature on the Performance and Emissions of Naturally Aspirated Gasoline Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 19, 2011 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2011
Downsizing of engines is becoming more popular as manufacturers toil for increased fuel economy. Due to the downsizing of engines, Brake Mean Effective Pressure (BMEP) tends to increase, which in turn increases the heat release from engine. This necessitates the need for optimizing cooling system in order to get higher engine output and lower emissions to comply with stringent emission norms. In earlier engines, thermo-siphon principle was used with water as the coolant. This has been replaced in modern engines with pressurized cooling system with coolants like ethylene glycol mix. Along with the conventional objective of increased material durability with the optimized engine cooling system, it has been found that there is an improvement in the engine output due to increased charging efficiency. This paper describes the effect of engine coolant temperature on performance, emission and efficiency of a three-cylinder naturally aspirated spark ignited engine. The engine was tested at different coolant temperatures and performance and emissions were measured. The effect of coolant temperature on the full-load motoring torque was measured so as to investigate the effect on engine friction.
CitationThomas, S., Saroop, A., Rajak, R., and Muthiah, S., "Investigation on the Effect of Coolant Temperature on the Performance and Emissions of Naturally Aspirated Gasoline Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-26-0089, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-26-0089.
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill New York 1988
- Rajoo, Srithar et al “Coolant Temperature Effect on Gasoline Engine Fuel Consumption” 3 rd Pacific-Asia conference on Mechanical Engineering 2002
- Imabeppu, Satoru et al “Development of a Meothd for Predicting Heat Rejection to the Engine Coolant” SAE Paper No. 93114 1993
- Alkidas, Alex C “Effects of Operational Parameters on Structural Temperatures and Coolant Heat Rejection of a S.I Engine” SAE Paper No. 931124 1993
- Nishino, Tomoki “Study of Engine Cooling Technologies for Knock Suppression in S.I Engines” Mitsubishi Motors Technical Review 2004 16
- Sandford, Malcolm H et al “Engine Coolant Flow Simulation- A Correlation Study” SAE Paper No. 930068 1993
- Shibata, Yuichi et al “New Design of Cooling System with Computer Simulation and Engine Compartment Simulator” SAE Paper No. 931075 1993