This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Glass-Reinforced Thermoplastic Composites for Front End Module Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 19, 2011 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2011
Use of glass-reinforced thermoplastic composites in automotive industry has grown gradually during the past decades because of an appropriate combination of properties such as high stiffness, high heat performance and lower specific gravities at a relative low cost. These materials have found applications in semi-structural parts such as instrument panels, door structures, underbody-shields and front-end module carriers.
Front-End Module is one key application, which has shown a development from pressed metal sheet assemblies towards SMC or GMT, pressed parts. Hybrid Steel + Plastic system is also explored for front-ends to balance weight and stiffness of the part. However presently the key trends in FEM design have been to improve performance/weight ratio by reducing the metal content.
The present paper demonstrates full plastic Front-End Module designs using long glass-reinforced PP material such as SABIC® STAMAX®, processed by injection molding. Mechanical performance of these Front End Modules (FEM) under different loading conditions is discussed. The full plastic FEM can show advantage such as lightweight front-end construction, integration of functionality, which in turn saves assembly time, reduces costs and lowers mass.
CitationKulkarni, S. and Schijve, W., "Glass-Reinforced Thermoplastic Composites for Front End Module Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2011-26-0053, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-26-0053.
- STAMAX is a registered trademark of SABIC Europe
- Schijve, W “Long Glass Fibre PP, High Performance at Medium Fibre Length” 3 rd AVKTV Conference Baden-Baden September 2000
- Chaturvedi, M Warden, S Marks, M “Advanced Thermoplastic Composites for Automotive Semi-Structural Applications” SIAT-2010
- Koch, B et al. “Hybrid-Frontend Als Strukturbauteil” Kunststoffe 89 1999
- Schijve, W “Intelligent Design and Material Use in Front Ends” CTI congress 2007 Munchen, Germany
- Schijve, W “100% Composite Front-End System for Next Generation Cars” AV-TV Conference Baden-Baden 2001