This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on NO x Reduction of Marine 4-Stroke Diesel Engine Using Charge Air Humidification
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This research has been carried out to verify the performance of a charge air moisturizer system which was developed to reduce NOX emission from marine 4-stroke diesel engine, to comply with US EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) Tier II (Category 2) emission regulation. The charge air moisturizer system abates NOX emission from a diesel engine through supplying high level of humid charge air into a combustion chamber. As a result, NOX and THC (Total Hydro-Carbon) emissions met the EPA Tier II regulations, and PM (Particulate Matter) emission also met the regulations on the condition of MGO (Marine Gas Oil) or low sulfur fuel oil usage. But, the SFOC (Specific Fuel Oil Consumption) increased slightly. Performance test using this system did not leave any trace of rust, corrosion, abnormal wear, etc., on the inner parts of the engine. Thus, it can be concluded that the Charge Air Moisturizer system has little effect on the durability or reliability of engine components.
- Hyoung-Keun Park - Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
- Hyoung-Keun Park - Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd.
- Sang-Hak Ghal - Hundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
- Hyun-Chun Park - Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
- Hyun-Chun Park - Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd.
- Seong-Wook Choi - Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
- Seong-Wook Choi - Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd.
- Sung-Hyeok Kim - Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
- Sung-Hyeok Kim - Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd.
CitationPark, H., Ghal, S., Park, H., Choi, S. et al., "A Study on NOx Reduction of Marine 4-Stroke Diesel Engine Using Charge Air Humidification," SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0172, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-24-0172.
- Riom, E. Olsson, L. Hagström, U. 2001 “NOx emission reduction with the humid air motor concept” CIMAC Congress 430 439
- Lindquist, T. Rosén, P. Olsson, L. 2001 “Humid cycles a novel way to increase performance of marine propulsion systems” CIMAC Congress 738 749
- Hupli, J. 2004 “Humidification Methods for Reduction of NOx Emissions” CIMAC Congress 112
- Ishida, M. Ueki, H. Sakaguch, D. Izumi, S. 1998 “Significant NOx reduction in diesel engine based on electronically controlled port water injection” CIMAC Congress 879 893
- Nicholls, J. El-Messiri, I. Newhali, H. “Inlet Manifold Water Injection for Control of Nitrogen Oxides-Theory and Experiment,” SAE Technical Paper 690018 1969 10.4271/690018
- Chrisnathou, C. Mesbahi, E. Zhou, P. 2000 “The effect of water injection to inlet air on engine emissions and performance” Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Marine Engineering
- Kamleiatner, E. Haury, H. 2001 “Reduction of emission of a high efficient diesel-engine with solenoid controlled injection pump by means of water injection” CIMAC Congress 210 216
- Samec, N. Dibble, R. Chen, J. Pagon, A. “Reduction of NOx and Soot Emission by Water Injection During Combustion in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-05-0079 2000
- Hellén, G. 1999 “Paper carries to cut NOx emissions by direct water injection” Marine News Wärtsilä 1 8 11
- Miyamoto, N. Ogawa, H. Wang, J. Ohashi, H. “Significant NOx Reductions with Direct Water Injection into the Sub-Chamber of an IDI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 950609 1995 10.4271/950609
- Osafune, S. N. Iwamoto, K. Takaishi, T. Ishida, H. Takasaki, K. Nakashima, M. 2000 “Stratified injection system for heavy fuel” Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Marine Engineering 485 488
- Hasegawa, Y. Sakaguchi, K. 2001 “Development of new series in mitsubishi UE large bore 2-Cycle diesel Engine” MHI, Technical Review 38 3 131 135
- Miyano, H. Sunagawa, T. Tayama, K. Nagae, Y. Yasueda, S. 1995 “The ship test for low-NOx by stratified fuel-water injection system” CIMAC Congress D15
- Sonoda, K. Nakano, K. Yamasita, H. Nakayama, N. Jinja, Y. 1995 “Research on Improvement in Combustion of High Water-Content Emulsified Fuel ISME
- Aabo, K. Kjemtrup, N. 2004 “Latest on Emission Control Water Emulsion and Exhaust Gas Re-Circulation CIMAC Congress 126
- Park, H.K. Ghal, S.H. Kim, B.S. Ahn, K.H. 2007 “Development of a Charge Air Moisturizer System for NO x Reduction of a Medium Speed Diesel Engine” CIMAC Congress, paper NO.:122
- Nord, K. Haupt, D. Egebäck, K. “Particles And Emissions from a Diesel Engine Equipped with a Humid Air Motor System,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3616 2001 10.4271/2001-01-3616