This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Methodology for Engine Performance Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Design and optimization of intake and exhaust systems and valve timing is crucial in development of a naturally aspirated engine. Nowadays numerical simulation is a fundamental tool for this area. Unfortunately to perform an optimization of engine performance by setting even only a few parameters needs great effort in terms of time and engineering resources even with simple architecture engines.
To overcome this problem the authors have developed an optimization methodology: the use of a 1_D simulation code allows one to build a neural network (NN) that characterizes engine working conditions for several input data variations (such as intake/exhaust systems and valve timing). A genetic algorithm (GA) coupled with the neural network is used to carry-out the multi-parameter optimization of engine performance. As an initial application, this methodology has been used for a 1-cylinder four stroke engine for off-road motorcycle application: inlet and exhaust valve phase angles were the input parameters and the maximum shaft power was the fitness function of the optimization process.
In this paper the optimization methodology is described and the results of the above-mentioned initial application presented.
CitationFerrara, G., Ferrari, L., Vichi, G., and Varrocchi, A., "A Methodology for Engine Performance Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0156, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-24-0156.
- Beham, M. Yu, DL Modelling a variable valve timing spark ignition engine using different NNs Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs 218 J. Automobile Engineering 2004
- He, Y. Rutland, C. J. “Application of Artificial NNs in Engine Modeling” International Journal of Engine Research 5 4 2004 281 296
- Wu, B. Prucka, R. G. Filipi, Z. S. Kramer, D. M. Ohl, G. L. “Cam-phasing Optimization Using Artificial Neural Networks as Surrogate Models-Maximizing Torque Output,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3757 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3757
- Wu, B. Prucka, R. G. Filipi, Z. S. Kramer, D. M. Ohl, G. L. “Cam-phasing Optimization Using Artificial Neural Networks as Surrogate Models-Fuel Consumption and NOx Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1512 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1512
- Ricardo Software WAVE V5p1 Basic reference manual
- Ferrari, G. Motori a combustione interna Edizioni Il Capitello 2001
- Heywood, J.B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals McGraw-Hill Book Company 1988
- Ricardo Software WAVE V5p1 Engine reference manual
- Ricardo Software Wave V5p1 Input blocks reference manual
- Mazzetti, A. 1993 “Reti neurali artificiali” Apogeo 8873030025
- Fausett, L. “Fundamentals of NNs: architectures, algorithms and applications” Upper Saddle River Prentice-Hall 1994
- Arsie, I. Marotta, F.A Pianese, C. Rizzo, G. Sviluppo di modelli a rete neurale con metodi di active learning per motori automobilistici ad accensione comandata 55° Congresso Nazionale ATI, Bari - Matera 2000
- Arsie, I. Marotta, F.A Pianese, C. Rizzo, G. Identification of spark ignition engine models based on NNs via experimental design IFAC System Identification Santa Barbara, California, USA 2000