This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Rapeseed and Jatropha Methyl Ester on Performance and Emissions of a Euro 5 Small Displacement Automotive Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects of using neat and blended (30% vol.) biodiesel, obtained from Rapeseed Methyl Ester (RME) and Jatropha Methyl Ester (JME), in a Euro 5 small displacement passenger car diesel engine have been evaluated in this paper.
The impact of biodiesel usage on engine performance at full load was analyzed for a specifically adjusted ECU calibration: the same torque levels measured under diesel operation could be obtained, with lower smoke levels, thus highlighting the potential for maintaining the same level of performance while achieving substantial emissions benefits.
In addition, the effects of biodiesel blends on brake-specific fuel consumption and on engine-out exhaust emissions (CO₂, CO, HC, NOx and smoke) were also evaluated at 6 different part load operating conditions, representative of the New European Driving Cycle. Emissions were also measured at the DPF outlet, thus providing information about after-treatment devices efficiencies with biodiesel. The application of a specifically adjusted engine calibration showed a rise of fuel consumption, due to the lower energy content of biodiesel, at same fuel conversion efficiency and comparable CO₂ emissions. An appreciable increase of CO and HC emissions at low load could be noticed, along with a considerable smoke emission reduction.
Finally, soot-NOx trade-off were also analyzed for three different engine operating points, in order to gather detailed information about further possible emissions benefits that could be achieved through a more extensive ECU recalibration.
CitationMillo, F., Vezza, D., and Vlachos, T., "Effects of Rapeseed and Jatropha Methyl Ester on Performance and Emissions of a Euro 5 Small Displacement Automotive Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0109, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-24-0109.
- Malhotra, R. K. Sarin, R. “Bio-diesel for Energy Security, Environment Protection and Employment Generation,” 2004
- Postrioti, L. Grimaldi, C. N. Ceccobello, M. Di Gioia, R. “Diesel Common Rail Injection System Behavior with Different Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0029 2004 10.4271/2001-01-0029
- Graboski, MS McCormick, RL “Combustion of fat and vegetable oil derived fuels in diesel engines” Prog. Energy Combust Sci 1998 24 125 64
- Sharp, C. Howell, S. Jobe, J. “The Effect of Biodiesel Fuels on Transient Emissions from Modern Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1967 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1967
- McCormick, RL Williams, A Ireland, J Brimhall, M Hayes, RR “Effects of biodiesel blends on vehicle emissions” Int J Eng Res 2006 2 249 61
- Fontaras, G Karavalakis, G Kousoulidou, M Tzamkiozis, T Ntziachristos, L Bakeas, E et al. “Effects of biodiesel on passenger car fuel consumption, regulated and non-regulated pollutant emissions over legislated and realworld driving cycles” Fuel 2009 88 1608 17
- Mueller, C. J. Boehman, A. L. Martin, G. C. “An Experimental Investigation of the Origin of Increased NO x Emissions When Fueling a Heavy-Duty Compression-Ignition Engine with Soy Biodiesel” SAE Int, J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 789 816 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1792
- Schmidt, K. Van Gerpen, J. “The Effect of Biodiesel Fuel Composition on Diesel Combustion and Emissions,” SAE Technical Paper 961086 1996 10.4271/961086
- Last, R. J. Krüger, M. Dürnholz, M. “Emissions and Performance Characteristics of a 4-Stroke, Direct Injected Diesel Engine Fueled with Blends of Biodiesel and Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 950054 1995 10.4271/950054
- Graboski, M. S. Ross, J. D. McCormick, R. L. “Transient Emissions from No. 2 Diesel and Biodiesel Blends in a DDC Series 60 Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 961166 1996 10.4271/961166
- Akasaka, Y. Suzuki, T. Sakurai, Y. “Exhaust Emissions of a DI Diesel Engine Fueled with Blends of Biodiesel and Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 972998 1997 10.4271/972998
- Zhang, Y. Van Gerpen, J. H. “Combustion Analysis of Esters of Soybean Oil in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 960765 1996 10.4271/960765
- Police, L.G. Prati, M.V. Auriemma, M. Alfuso, S. “Regulated Emissions of DI Diesel Engines Fuelled with Methyl Ester of Rape Seed Oil” ImechE Second Seminar 1993 0 85298 848 6
- Senatore, A. Cardone, M. Rocco, V. Prati, M. V. “A Comparative Analysis of Combustion Process in D.I. Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel and Diesel Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0691 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0691
- Hansen, K. F. Grouleff Jensen, M. “Chemical and Biological Characteristics of Exhaust Emissions from a DI Diesel Engine Fuelled with Rapeseed Oil Methyl Ester (RME),” SAE Technical Paper 971689 1997 10.4271/971689
- Sharp, C. A. Howell, S. A. Jobe, J. “The Effect of Biodiesel Fuels on Transient Emissions from Modern Diesel Engines: Part I Regulated Emissions and Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1967 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1967
- Sharp, C. A. Howell, S. A. Jobe, J. “The Effect of Biodiesel Fuels on Transient Emissions from Modern Diesel Engines: Part II Unregulated Emissions and Chemical Characterization,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1968 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1968
- Schoeppe, D. Hardouin, G. Monnier, F. “The challenges of worldwide fuels on modern diesel common rail system” Aachener Kolloquium Fahrzeug- und Motorentechnik 2007
- Thornton, M. J. Alleman, T. L. Luecke, J. McCormick, R. L. “Impacts of Biodiesel Fuel Blends Oil Dilution on Light-Duty Diesel Engine Operation,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 781 788 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1790
- Li, H. Andrews, G. Balsevich-Prieto, J. “Study of Emission and Combustion Characteristics of RME B100 Biodiesel from a Heavy Duty DI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0074 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0074
- Postrioti, L. Battistoni, M. Grimaldi, C. N. Millo, F. “Injection Strategies Tuning for the use of Bio-derived Fuels in a Common Rail HSDI Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0768
- Millo, F. Ferraro, C. Vezza, D. Vlachos, T. “Analysis of Performance and Emissions of an Automotive Euro 5 Diesel Engine Fuelled with B30 from RME and JME,” SAE Technical Paper 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0328
- Northrop, W. F. Bohac, S. V. Assanis, D. N. “Premixed Low Temperature Combustion of Biodiesel and Blends in a High Speed Compression Ignition Engine,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 2 1 28 40 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0133
- Guido, C. Beatrice, C. Di Iorio, S. Fraioli, V. Di Blasio, G. Vassallo, A. Ciaravino, C. “Alternative Diesel Fuels Effects on Combustion and Emissions of an Euro5 Automotive Diesel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 107 132 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0472
- Beatrice, C. Guido, C. Di Iorio, S. Napolitano, P. Del Giacomo, N. “Impact of RME and GTL Fuel on Combustion and Emissions of a “Torque-Controlled” Diesel Automotive Engines,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 118 134 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1477
- Gibbs, N. “Morrisons launches B30 biodiesel into mainstream” BusinessCar Webnews http://www.businesscar.co.uk 2007
- “Cincinnati Metro Switches to B30 Biodiesel Blend Post-Katrina” Green Car Congress Website, http://www.greencarcongress.com 22 12 2010
- De Filippo, A. Ciaravino, C. Millo, F. Fino, D. Vezza, D. Vlachos, T. Russo, N. “Particle Number, Size and Mass Emissions of Different Biodiesel Blends Versus ULSD from a Small Displacement Automotive Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0633 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0633
- “Appendix: Biodiesel Composition and Properties of Components” DieselNet Website: http//www.dieselnet.com 22 12 2010
- Postrioti, L. Grimaldi, C. N. Ceccobello, M. Di Gioia, R. “Diesel Common Rail Injection System Behavior with Different Fuels,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0029 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0029
- Millo, F. Bianco, A. Grange, T. Voicu, I. “The Effects of Neat Biodiesel Usage on Performance and Exhaust Emissions from a Small Displacement Passenger Car Diesel Engine,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 210 218 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1515
- Millo, F. Bianco, A. Vezza, D. S. Vlachos, T. Ciaravino, C. Vassallo, A. “Biodiesel fuelling impact on performance and emissions of a Euro5 small displacement passenger car diesel engine” SEEP2010 Conference Proceedings Bari June 29th July 2 nd 2010