This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
0D-1D Coupling for an Integrated Fuel Economy Control Strategy for a Hybrid Electric Bus
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) are worldwide recognized as one of the best and most immediate opportunities to solve the problems of fuel consumption, pollutant emissions and fossil fuels depletion, thanks to the high reliability of engines and the high efficiencies of motors. Moreover, as transport policy is becoming day by day stricter all over the world, moving people or goods efficiently and cheaply is the goal that all the main automobile manufacturers are trying to reach. In this context, the municipalities are performing their own action plans for public transport and the efforts in realizing high efficiency hybrid electric buses, could be supported by the local policies.
For these reasons, the authors intend to propose an efficient control strategy for a hybrid electric bus, with a series architecture for the power-train. To this aim, an integrated approach realized by coupling a zero-dimensional model of the vehicle with a mono-dimensional model of the thermal engine to evaluate fuel consumption and find the most suitable control strategy for the engine (totally decoupled to the mission).
A kinematic approach has been implemented. The power required to the motor is defined by knowing the speed and altitude profiles related to the path, while the power request for the engine is calculated by means of a first order filter, which properly cuts the power load of the motor. A sensitivity analysis has been performed in order to define the optimal operating strategy for the engine, to minimize the fuel consumption. Moreover, a control on the state of charge (SOC) has been implemented to assure a correct use of batteries and avoid damages.
CitationTribioli, L., Martini, F., Pede, G., and Villante, C., "0D-1D Coupling for an Integrated Fuel Economy Control Strategy for a Hybrid Electric Bus," SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0083, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-24-0083.
- Folkesson, A. Neuman, M. Gravesen, C. “Targets, Constraints and Rules for Hybrid Management in a Series Hybrid Bus Intended for Commercial Introduction,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1563 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1563
- Friedman, D. 2003 A New Road - The Technology and Potential of Hybrid Vehicles Union of Concerned Scientists, UCS publications
- Smokers, R.T.M. et al. 2000 Annex VI: Hybrid Vehicles Overview Report Hybrid & electric vehicle implementing agreement International Energy Agency
- Atkins, M. Koch, C. “A Well-to-Wheel Comparison of Several Powertrain Technologies,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0081 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0081
- Xin, Shijie Long, Wuqiang Zhou, Yafu “Optimization of Control Strategies for a parallel Hybrid City Bus” 6 th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation June 21 23 2006 Dalian, China
- Brahma, A. Guezennec, Y. Rizzoni, G. Optimal Energy Management in Series Hybrid Electric Vehicles Proceedings of the American Control Conference Chicago, Illinois June 2000
- Rizzoni, G. Guzzella, L. Baumann, B. Unified modeling of hybrid electric vehicles IEEE Trans. Mechatronic Systems September 1999
- Sciarretta, A. Guzzella, L. 2007 “Control of Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” IEEE Control Syst. Mag. 27 2 60 70
- Paganelli, G. Ercole, G. Brahma, A. Guezennec, Y. Rizzoni, G. 2001 “General Supervisory Control Policy for the Energy Optimization of Charge- Sustaining Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” JSAE Rev. 22 4 511 518
- Rossi, E. Villante, C. “Urb-e, Prototipo di vettura ibrida da città” RT/2010/5/ENEA Italian Agency on Energy and Environment (ENEA) May 2010
- Rossi, E. Villante, C. “Urb-e: A Proposal by ENEA for a Hybrid City Car” Global Powertrain Congress (GPC) 2010 Munich (Germany) September 2010
- Rossi, E. Villante, C. “Ultracapacitors in a series hybrid drive train employed to realize a city car prototype” ESSCAP 2010 -4th European Symposium on Super Capacitors & Applications Bordeaux October 2010
- Rossi, E. Villante, C. “A hybrid Car by ENEA for Urban Mobility” EVS25 2010 - The 25th World Battery, Hybrid and Fuel Cell Symp. and Exhib. Shenzen (China) November 2010
- Ciminelli, M.V. Martellucci, L. Feola, M. Martini, F. “ENEA URB-E: sistema di controllo e gestione di un veicolo ibrido serie” ATI 2009
- Martellucci, L. Feola, M. Ciminelli, M.V. Lungarini, L. Martini, F. 2009 “Modeling and experimental evaluation of control management in the series hybrid vehicle Enea Urb-e” SAENA
- Feola, M. Ubertini, S. Martini, F. 2005 “An analytical model for hybrid vehicles design” SAE 2005-24-042 ICE2005 International Conference on Engine for Automobile Capri, Naples, Italy September 2005 Park, Joon-Sang Penner, Michael Viktor, K.
- Feola, M. Martini, F. Ubertini, S. 2004 Evaluating the performances of advanced powertrains ESDA 2004 ASME Paper ESDA2004-58081
- UITP, International Association of Public Transport SORT - Standardised on-road tests cycles 2004 www.uitp.com December 2005
- Musardo, C. Rizzoni, G. Guezennec, Y. Staccia, B. 2005 “A-ECMS: An Adaptive Algorithm for Hybrid Electric Vehicle Energy Management,” Eur. J. Control 114-5 509 524
- Paganelli, G. Guerra, T. Delprat, S. Santin, J. Delhom, M. Combes, E. 2000 “Simulation and Assessment of Power Control Strategies for a Parallel Hybrid Car,” Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng., Part D _J. Automob. Eng. 2147 705 717
- Badin, F. Briat, O. Olivier, S. Jeanneret, B. Trigui, R. Malaquin, B. The use of batteries in hybrid vehicles IEEE VTSVPP Paris-France 2004
- Martellucci, L. Di Giacomo, V. Tavani, F. “Progetto microcar: quadriciclo con sistema di propulsione ibrido serie e sistema di accumulo a supercondensatori” ATI 2007
- Ciminelli, M.V. Feola, M. Martini, F. Ubertini, S. “Analisi numerica delle prestazioni di un veicolo Microcar di tipo Ibrido serie Termico-Elettrico” 63° Congresso ATI Palermo Settembre 2008
- Espinosa, R. Hughes, K.S. “Design of a Hybrid Shuttle Bus with a Heat Engine and Ultra-Capacitors” The 18 th International Electric Fuel Cell and Hybrid Vehicle Symposium 2001 Berlin - Germany
- Perez, Francisco Macia “Energy Management” Xu, Liangfei Cao, Guijun Li, Jianqiu Yang, Fuyuan Lu, Languang Ouyang, Minggao “Equivalent Consumption Minimization Strategies of Series Hybrid City Buses” 133 146
- Ceraolo, M. Lutzemberger, G. Huria, T. “Experimentally-Determined Models for High-Power Lithium Batteries” SAE World Congress 2011
- Huria, T. Lutzemberger, G. Sanna, G. Pede, G. “Systematic development of series-hybrid bus through modeling” IEEE Vehicle Power & Propulsion Conference 2010 Lille (France) Sept 1 3 2010