This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Energy Management and Control of a Moving Solar Roof for a Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2011 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The integration of photovoltaic (PV) panels on electric and hybrid vehicles is gaining interest, thanks to the increasing fleet electrification, the improvement in solar panel efficiency and the reduction in their costs. In order to maximize the solar contribution, the adoption of self-orienting solar roof when the vehicle is parked can be considered. In the paper, the authors present a study on the energy management of a moving solar roof, as a 3 d.o.f. parallel robot, in a solar assisted vehicle. A model based control is developed, based on combined use of measured solar power, image processing form a digital camera and data provided by a GPS module, and implemented over a small scale prototype. An optimal tracking strategy, considering the effects of different insolation and of mechanical losses, is also presented.
CitationCoraggio, G., Rizzo, G., Pisanti, C., and Senatore, A., "Energy Management and Control of a Moving Solar Roof for a Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0072, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-24-0072.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Fischer, R. 2009 The Electrification of the Powertrain - from Turbohybrid to Range Extender 30. Internationales Wiener Motoren symposium 2009
- Chan, C.C. 2010 “Outlook of Electric Vehicles and Smart Grids” Car Testing China 2010 Beijing July 21 22 2010
- Letendre, S. Perez, R. Herig, C. 2003 Vehicle Integrated PV: A Clean and Secure Fuel for Hybrid Electric Vehicles Proc. Of the American Solar Energy Society Solar 2003 Conference June 21 23 2003 Austin, TX
- Rizzo, G. 2010 Automotive Applications of Solar Energy 6th IFAC Symposium Advances in Automotive Control Munich July 11 14 2010
- Coraggio, G. Pisanti, C. Rizzo, G. Senatore, A. 2010 A Moving Solar Roof for a Hybrid Solar Vehicle 6th IFAC Symposium “Advances in Automotive Control” Munich July 12 14 2010
- Coraggio, G. Pisanti, C. Rizzo, G. Senatore, A. 2010 Model Based Control of a Moving Solar Roof for a Solar Vehicle AVEC 10th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control Loughborough, UK August 22 26 2010
- Quaschning, V. 2003 “Technology fundamentals - The sun as an energy resource” Renewable Energy World 6 5 90 93
- Statistics for Road Transport UK Government www.statistics.gov.uk
- Tsai, L. W. 1999 Robot Analysis: the mechanics of serial and parallel manipulators John Wiley & Sons, Inc. USA
- Femia, N. Lisi, G. Petrone, G. Spagnuolo, G. Vitelli, M. 2008 Analysis of Photovoltaic Systems with Distributed Maximum Power Point Tracking Proc. Of IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics ISIE08 June 30 July 2 2008 2408 2413
- Kim, Chong Hui Kim, Byung Kook “Minimum-energy translational trajectory generation for differential-driven wheeled mobile robots,” Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems 49 4 367 383 August 2007
- Sergaki, E.S. Stavrakakis, G.S. Pouliezos, A.D. “Optimal robot speed trajectory by minimization of the actuator motor electromechanical losses” Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems 33 2 187 207 0921-0296 2002