This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Experimental Study of Combustion Phasing Control in CAI Gasoline Engine with In-Cylinder Fuel Reforming
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents an analysis of combustion phasing in a controlled auto-ignition (CAI) engine fuelled with gasoline. Auto-ignition was achieved using an exhaust gas trapping method via negative valve overlap (NVO). Under slightly lean mixture conditions variable intake and exhaust valves timings were applied in order to analyze influence of amount of retained exhaust on auto-ignition timing and combustion duration. Combustion on-set was independent of exhaust valve closing event, which was responsible for amount of trapped residuals. However, it was found that auto-ignition timing was determined by intake valve timing. Combustion duration was affected by both exhaust and intake valve timings. Direct injection allowed for application of different mixture formation strategies including in-cylinder fuel reforming during the NVO phase. When fuel was injected in the late stage of NVO increase of air-fuel ratio (AFR) caused a retard of auto-ignition and reduction of heat release rate. In contrast, opposite effect of AFR was observed if fuel was injected in the early stage of NVO, which resulted in its reforming. Increasing oxygen content during NVO influenced effects of reforming, thus determining combustion course. Split fuel injection, where the first injection timing was set constant in the NVO phase and the second fuel dose was injected during an intake process, allowed for improvement of engine thermal efficiency and exhaust emissions. Injection of the second fuel dose during a compression stroke resulted in advance of auto-ignition due to mixture stratification. However, at slightly lean mixture, stratification led to excessive emission of CO and drop of thermal efficiency.
CitationHunicz, J., "An Experimental Study of Combustion Phasing Control in CAI Gasoline Engine with In-Cylinder Fuel Reforming," SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0052, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-24-0052.
- Law, D., Kemp, D., Allen, J., Kirkpatrick, G. et al., “Controlled Combustion in an IC-Engine with a Fully Variable Valve Train,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0251, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-0251.
- Zhao, H., Li, J., Ma, T., and Ladommatos, N., “Performance and Analysis of a 4-Stroke Multi-Cylinder Gasoline Engine with CAI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0420, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0420.
- Urushihara, T., Hiraya, K., Kakuhou, A., and Itoh, T., “Expansion of HCCI Operating Region by the Combination of Direct Fuel Injection, Negative Valve Overlap and Internal Fuel Reformation,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0749, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0749.
- Yamaoka, S., Kakuya, H., Nakagawa, S., Nogi, T. et al., “A Study of Controlling the Auto-Ignition and Combustion in a Gasoline HCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0942, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-0942.
- Oakley, A., Zhao, H., Ladommatos, N., and Ma, T., “Experimental Studies on Controlled Auto-ignition (CAI) Combustion of Gasoline in a 4-Stroke Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1030, 2001, doi:10.4271/2001-01-1030.
- Wildman, C., Scaringe, R., and Cheng, W., “On the Maximum Pressure Rise Rate in Boosted HCCI Operation,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2727, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2727.
- Mahrous, A-F.M., Potrzebowski, A., Wyszynski, M.L., Xu, H.M., Tsolakis, A., Luszcz, P., A modelling study into the effects of variable valve timing on the gas exchange process and performance of a 4-valve DI homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engine, Energy Conversion and Management, vol. 50, pp. 393-398, 2009
- Strandh, P., Bengtsson, J., Johansson, R., Tunestål, P. et al., “Variable Valve Actuation for Timing Control of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0147, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0147.
- Koopmans, L., Ogink, R., and Denbratt, I., “Direct Gasoline Injection in the Negative Valve Overlap of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1854, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-1854.
- Marriott, C. and Reitz, R., “Experimental Investigation of Direct Injection-Gasoline for Premixed Compression Ignited Combustion Phasing Control,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0418, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0418.
- Herold, R.E., Foster, D.E., Ghandhi, J.B., Iverson, R.J., Eng, J.A., Najt, P.M., Fuel unmixedness effects in a gasoline homogeneous charge compression ignition engine, Int. J. Engine Res., vol. 8, pp. 241-257, 2007
- Sjöberg, M., Dec, J., and Cernansky, N., “Potential of Thermal Stratification and Combustion Retard for Reducing Pressure-Rise Rates in HCCI Engines, Based on Multi-Zone Modeling and Experiments,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0113, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0113.
- Hunicz, J. and Kordos, P., “Experimental Study of the Gasoline Engine Operated in Spark Ignition and Controlled Auto-Ignition Combustion Modes,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2667, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2667.
- Heywood, J.: Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1988
- Cairns, A. and Blaxill, H., “The Effects of Combined Internal and External Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Gasoline Controlled Auto-Ignition,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0133, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0133.
- Guohong, T., Zhi, W., Jianxin, W., Shijin, S. et al., “HCCI Combustion Control by Injection Strategy with Negative Valve Overlap in a GDI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0415, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-0415.
- Waldman, J., Nitz, D., Aroonsrisopon, T., Foster, D. et al., “Experimental Investigation into the Effects of Direct Fuel Injection During the Negative Valve Overlap Period in an Gasoline Fueled HCCI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0219, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0219.
- Hunicz, J., Kordos, P., An experimental study of fuel injection strategies in CAI gasoline engine, Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science, vol. 35, pp. 243-252, 2011
- Dec, J. and Sjöberg, M., “A Parametric Study of HCCI Combustion - the Sources of Emissions at Low Loads and the Effects of GDI Fuel Injection,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0752, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-0752.
- Leach, B., Zhao, H., Li, Y., and Ma, T., “Control of CAI Combustion Through Injection Timing in a GDI Engine With an Air-Assisted Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0134, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0134.