This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multidisciplinary Optimization under Uncertainty for Preliminary Aircraft Sizing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 18, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The robust optimization allows designing an optimal system whose performances are insensitive to uncertainties. On the other hand reliability based optimization determines a minimum level of reliability but makes no guarantee regarding the performance sensitivity to uncertainties. In this paper a method combining both approaches is developed and is illustrated by an application to preliminary aircraft design. Uncertainties are taken into account through a probabilistic approach stemming from the use of historical data of aircraft (features, performances, etc.). Firstly, one shows that taking into account uncertainties with a constant standard deviation from the residual errors of the database, generates non-physical results because it leads to too large uncertainties in some regions. To overcome this problem one then develops an uncertainty model with a variable standard deviation which can take into account two factors: on one hand, the number of historical data in a given region varies; on the another hand some areas are less well predicted by the analytical model functions. The developed uncertainty modeling is applied to preliminary aircraft design optimization under both reliability and robustness constraints. It is found that the robust optimum point under reliability constraints for a short range aircraft is close to the deterministic optimum but the weight of the corresponding aircraft is higher because of additional margins taken.
CitationJaeger, L., Gogu, C., Segonds, S., and Bes, C., "Multidisciplinary Optimization under Uncertainty for Preliminary Aircraft Sizing," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2766, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2766.
- Wagner, RL. “Science, uncertainty and risk: the problem of complex phenomena”. APS News, 12(1), pp. 8, 2003.
- Oberkampf, WL, DeLand, SM, Rutherford, BM, Diegert, KV, Alvin, KF. “Error and uncertainty in modeling and simulation”, Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 75(3), pp. 333-57, 2002.
- Beyer, H. G., Sendhoff, B., “Robust Optimization - A Comprehensive Survey”, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 196, No. 33-34, 2007, pp. 3190-3218.
- Perez, R. E., Liu, H. H. T., Behdinan, K., “Evaluation of multidisciplinary optimization approaches for aircraft conceptual design”, 10th AIAA/ISSMO multidisciplinary analysis and optimization conference, Albany, New York, 2004.
- DeLaurentis, D. A., Mavris, D. N., “Uncertainty modeling and management in multidisciplinary analysis and synthesis”, AIAA paper 2000-0422, Proc. 38th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV, January 10-13, 2000.
- Torenbeek, E. Synthesis of subsonic airplane design, Delft university press, Delft, The Netherlands, 1982.
- Torczon, V., “On the convergence of pattern search algorithms”, SIAM Journal on Optimisation, Vol. 7, No. 1, 1997, pp. 1-25.
- Jacques, J., Lavergne, C., Devictor, N., “Analyse de sensibilité globale”, 36ème journée de Statistique, Montpellier, France, 2004.
- Myers, R. H., Montgomery, D. C., Anderson-Cook, C. M., “Process and product optimization using designed experiments”, Response surface methodology Third edition, Wiley, 2009, pp. 13-72.