This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Model-Based Systems Engineering for the Design and Development of Complex Aerospace Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 18, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The complexity of modern aerospace vehicles is growing constantly. New technologies create opportunities for higher levels of integration. Modern vehicles contain a larger number of components that interact with each other in non-linear and often unpredictable ways. Unintended interactions lead to unexpected behaviors and consequences, some of which have proven to be catastrophic. A key technical challenge in developing such complex systems is to ensure that catastrophic subsystem and component interactions are well understood and contained prior to full-scale development.
To address these challenges, the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is investing in novel methods for design and verification of complex systems. The META program is specifically aimed at compressing the timeline for product development and deployment of complex defense systems, through model-based design and manufacturing. Using the META design paradigm, different component model libraries can be used to instantiate, analyze, and verify a system design independent of its physical manifestation. The goal is to establish a “correct-by-construction” design prior to detailed design and prototyping.
This paper presents a model-based system-engineering framework that we developed as part of the META program. This framework enables architectural synthesis and analysis of complex systems during the conceptual design phase. Using this framework, design teams can systematically explore architectural design decisions during the early stage of system development before selecting specific components. The analysis performed at this earliest stage of design facilitates the development of more robust and reliable system architectures. In this paper, we describe the proposed framework and present its application to the design of a representative aerospace electrical power system (EPS).
CitationUckun, S., Kurtoglu, T., Bunus, P., Tumer, I. et al., "Model-Based Systems Engineering for the Design and Development of Complex Aerospace Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2664, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2664.
- Whitney, D. “Why Mechanical Design will never be Like VLSI Design,” Research in Engineering Design 8 125 138 1996
- Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, A. “Quo Vadis, SLD? Reasoning About the Trends and Challenges of System Level Design,” Proceedings of the IEEE 95 3 467 506 March 2007
- DARPA Adaptive Vehicle Make (AVM) Program http://www.darpa.mil/AVM.aspx/ August 2011
- Poll, S. Patterson-Hine, A. Camisa, J. Garcia, D. Hall, D. “Advanced Diagnostics and Prognostics Testbed,” 18th International Workshop on Principles of Diagnosis (DX-07) Nashville, TN May 29 31 2007
- Kurtoglu, T. Jensen, D. Tumer, I.Y. “A Functional Failure Reasoning Methodology for Evaluation of Conceptual System Architectures” Journal of Research in Engineering Design January 31 2010
- Modelica Association Modelica - A Unified Object Oriented Language for Physical System Modeling Language Specification March 24 2010 https://www.modelica.org/ August 2011
- Kurtoglu, T. Bunus, P. de Kleer, J. “Simulation-Based Design of Aircraft Electrical Power Systems,” 8th International Modelica Conference 2011 Dresden, Germany March 20 22 2011
- Kurtoglu, T. Campbell, M. “Automated Synthesis of Electromechanical Design Configurations from Empirical Analysis of Function to Form Mapping” Journal of Engineering Design 20 1 February 2009
- Kurtoglu, T. Jensen, D. C. Tumer, I. Y. “A functional failure reasoning methodology for evaluation of conceptual system architectures” Research in Engineering Design 21 209 234 2010
- de Weck, O. Roos, D. Magee, C. “Engineering Systems: Meeting Human Needs in a Complex Technological World,” MIT Press 978-0262016704:65-96 2012
- Kwiatkowska, M. Norman, G. Parker, D. “PRISM 4.0: Verification of Probabilistic Real-time Systems,” 23rd International Conference on Computer Aided Verification (CAV'11) Snowbird, Utah, USA July 14 20 2011
- Du, X. Sudjianto, A. Chen, W. “An integrated framework for optimization under uncertainty using inverse reliability strategy” Journal of Mechanical Design 126 4 562 570 2004
- Hoyle, C. Tumer, I.Y. Kurtoglu, T. Chen, W. “Multi-Stage Uncertainty Quantification for Verifying the Correctness of Complex System Designs,” ASME 2011 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (IDETC/CIE 2011) Washington, DC, USA August 28 31 2011
- Zhang, Y. Kurtoglu, T. Tumer, I.Y. O'Halloran, B. “System-Level Reliability Analysis for Conceptual Design of Electrical Power Systems,” Conference on Systems Engineering Research (CSER) 2011 Redondo Beach, CA April 15 16 2011
- Sepahvand, K. Marburg, S. Hardtke, H.-J. “Uncertainty quantification in stochastic systems using polynomial chaos expansion,” International Journal of Applied Mechanics 2 2 305 353 2010