This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Silicon Carbide Power Electronics for High-Temperature Power Conversion and Solid-State Circuit Protection in Aircraft Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 18, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The SiC Junction Field Effect Transistor (JFET) technology has continued to mature, allowing for a wider range of product offerings that are expected to play an important role in the future aerospace and hybrid vehicle system designs. This paper will give an overview of vertical trench SiC JFET technology detailing the high-temperature dc characteristics of the discrete devices also show power module switching behavior up to 100A. Additional characterization of the all-SiC power modules used as solid-state circuit breakers will be given.
CitationSheridan, D., Casady, J., Mazzola, M., Schrader, R. et al., "Silicon Carbide Power Electronics for High-Temperature Power Conversion and Solid-State Circuit Protection in Aircraft Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2625, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2625.
- Weimer, J.A. “The role of electric machines and drives in the more electric aircraft,” Electric Machines and Drives Conference, 2003. IEMDC'03. IEEE International 1 11 15 1 1 4 June 2003
- Treu, M. Rupp, R. Blaschitz, P. Ruschenschmidt, K. Sekinger, T. Friedrichs, P. Elpelt, R. Peters, D. “Strategic Considerations for Unipolar SiC Switch Options: JFET vs. MOSFET,” Industry Applications Conference, 2007. 42nd IAS Annual Meeting. Conference Record of the 2007 IEEE 324 330 23 27 Sept. 2007
- Cheng, L. Sankin, I. Merrett, J. N. Bondarenko, V. Kelley, R. Purohit, S. Koshka, Y. Casady, J. B. Mazzola, M. S. “Cryogenic and High Temperature Performance of 4H-SiC Vertical Junction Field Effect Transistors (VJFETs) for Space Applications” Proc. Inter. Symp. on Power Semi. Dev. (ISPSD'05) Santa Barbara, CA 231 234
- Sheridan, D.C. Ritenour, A. Bondarenko, V. Burks, P. Casady, J.B. “Record 2.8mΩ-cm 2 1.9kV enhancement-mode SiC VJFETs,” Proc. 2009 ISPSD 335 338 June 2009
- Sheridan, D.C. Ritenour, A. Bondarenko, V. Casady, J.B. Kelley, R. “Low Switching Energy 1200V Normally-Off SiC VJFET Power Modules,” Materials Science Forum 679-680 583 586
- Stevanovic, L.D. Matocha, K.S. Losee, P.A. Glaser, J.S. Nasadoski, J.J. Arthur, S.D. “Recent advances in silicon carbide MOSFET power devices,” Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), 2010 Twenty-Fifth Annual IEEE 401 407 21 25 Feb. 2010
- Urciuoli, D.P. Evalutaion of SiC VJFET Devices for Scalable Solid-State Circuit Breakers Army Research Laboratory report ARL-MR-0693 May 2008