This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Next Generation Composite Wing Drilling Machine for Vertical Builds
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 18, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Growing use of composite materials in aircraft wing construction requires a new generation of drilling machines. Electroimpact developed the LTD machine to address the specific needs posed by large scale composite wing box assembly. The machine maximizes the efficacy of blind access to create a single sided assembly process. Innovative design greatly reduces machine weight and foundation requirements. Optimized processes and automation tools increase the drilling capacity. The mobile machine maximizes plant flexibility by carrying out work on both wing surfaces across multiple assembly jigs. Through thoughtful engineering and thoroughly developed processes the LTD presents a highly capable and cost efficient solution for composite wing box drilling automation.
|Technical Paper||Advanced Automated Milling, Drilling and Fastening Utilizing Parallel Kinematic Machines|
|Technical Paper||A Validation Methodology for Structural Health Monitoring|
|Technical Paper||Laser Tracker Assisted Aircraft Machining and Assembly|
CitationPeck, J. and Massey, K., "Next Generation Composite Wing Drilling Machine for Vertical Builds," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2613, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2613.
- Smith, S. and McClure, T., “New Blind, Doweling, Temporary Fastener Design and Testing,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3184, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-3184.
- Hempstead, B., Thayer, B., and Williams, S., “Composite Automatic Wing Drilling Equipment (CAWDE),” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3162, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3162.
- Remley, D., Rediger, J., Haworth, P., and Holden, R., “Slug Rivet Machine Installs 16 Rivets Per Minute Drill-Rivet-Shave,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-3155, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-3155.
- Krejci, C., “LTD Bolt Injection System,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2776, 2011.
- Ehinger, P., “Utilizing an In-Process Automatic Tool Change for Drilling and Reaming Large Diameter Holes,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2532, 2011.
- Barry, J. and Uffelman, Z., “Process Speeds for Drilling and Reaming CFRP and CFRP/Metallic Stacks,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2743, 2011.