This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
RFID on Aircraft Parts - Industry Initiatives, Testing Standards, and Best Practices for Storing Maintenance History Information Directly on Aircraft Parts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 18, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aerospace industry has long sought a solution for storing maintenance history information directly on aircraft parts. In 2005 leading airframe manufacturers determined that passive Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology presented a unique opportunity to address this industry need. Through the efforts of the Air Transport Association (ATA) RFID on Parts Committee and SAE International testing standards and data specifications are in place to support the broad adoption of passive RFID for storing parts history information directly on aircraft parts.
The primary focus of the paper will be on the SAE AS-5678 environmental testing standard for passive RFID tags intended for aircraft use. Detail will be provided to help aerospace manufacturers understand their role and responsibilities for current programs and understand how this may impact their parts certification process. Also covered will be the ATA Spec2000 Chapter 9-5 data specification and details on how parts maintenance history will be stored and shared using passive RFID tags on aircraft parts.
CitationDonahue, K., "RFID on Aircraft Parts - Industry Initiatives, Testing Standards, and Best Practices for Storing Maintenance History Information Directly on Aircraft Parts," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2599, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2599.
- EPC Class 1 Generation 2 UHF Radio Frequency Identification Air Interface Protocol available from GS1 at http://www.gs1.org/gsmp/kc/epcglobal/uhfc1g2/uhfc1g2_1_2_0-standard-20080511.pdf
- SAE Aerospace Standard, “Passive RFID Tags Intended for Aircraft Use,” SAE Standard AS5678, Issued Dec. 2006.
- RTCA DO-160 can be ordered at http://www.rtca.org/downloads/DEC%202004%20-%2005-01-06.htm#_Toc92864028
- ATA Spec2000 can be ordered online at https://publications.airlines.org/CommerceProductDetail.aspx?Product=96.
- FAA Advisory Circular 20-162 - Airworthiness approval and operational allowance of RFID systems is available at http://rgl.faa.gov/regulatory_and_guidance_library/rgadvisorycircular.nsf/0/5d5fc1aecad38013862574cf00477f2e/$FILE/AC%20 20-162.pdf