This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Field Performance Analysis of a Tractor and a Large Square Baler
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 13, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Methods of estimating tractor performance including power efficiency and fuel consumption under field operational conditions were discussed based on a tractor and a large square baler. Methods recommended by ASAE standards were used and results indicated that ASAE standards predicted 15% higher fuel consumption compared to that tested by Nebraska tractor test center. Field trials were conducted in switchgrass fields to verify and demonstrate these methods. Fuel consumption and the material capacity of the tractor-baler system were measured and also estimated using ASAE standards and Nebraska tractor test results. Field test results indicated that the fuel consumption of baling switchgrass was approximately 60% of the fuel consumption estimated with ASAE standards and tested by Nebraska tractor test center. Measured material capacity of the large square baler was approximately 40% of its theoretical capacity. Therefore, the power performance and field capacity of the tractor and baler system might be under used.
CitationLiu, J. and Kemmerer, B., "Field Performance Analysis of a Tractor and a Large Square Baler," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2302, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2302.
- ASAE Standards 2006 D497.5: Agricultural Machinery Management Data St. Joseph, Mich. ASAE
- ASAE Standards 2006 EP496.3: Agricultural Machinery Management St. Joseph, Mich. ASAE
- Cundiff, J. S. Marsh, L. S. 1996 Harvest and storage costs for bales of switchgrass in southeastern United States Bioresource Technology 56 95 101
- Kumar, A. Sokhansanj, S. 2007 Switchgrass (Panicum vigratum, L.) delivery to a biorefinery using integrated biomass supply analysis and logistics (IBSAL) model Bioresource Technology 98 1033 1044
- Brownell, D. K. Liu, J. 2010 Computer Model of Satellite Storage Locations for Herbaceous Biomass Handling ASABE Paper No. 1009058 St. Joseph, Mich. ASAE
- Kheiralla, A.F. Yahya, A. Zohadie, M. Ishak, W. 2004 Modelling of power and energy requirements for tillage implements operating in Serdang sandy clay loam, Malaysia Soil & Tillage Research 78 21 34
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard “Agricultural Tractor Test Code (OECD),” SAE Standard J2708 Apr. 1993 Aug. 2002
- ASAE Standards 2008 S489: Hydraulic Pressure Available on Agricultural Tractors for Remote Use with Implements St. Joseph, Mich. ASAE
- Srivastava, A. K. Goering, C. E. Rohrbach, R. P. Buckmaster, D. R. 2006 Engineering Principles of Agricultural Machines St. Joseph, Mich. ASAE