This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Visualization Study on Lubricant Oil Film Behavior around Piston Skirt
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Understanding of the oil film formation mechanism around a piston skirt is very important to reduce the friction loss at piston skirt. We have investigated lubricant oil film behavior around piston skirt which is affected by piston slap under motoring condition. In this study, a cylinder liner of a commercial engine is displaced with a quartz cylinder. Photographic observations of oil film behavior between the cylinder liner and the piston skirt were performed with two kinds of methods; direct monochromatic photography and LIF (Laser Induced Fluorescence) image using a high speed camera. The oil film distributions were determined from oil boundary observed by the direct photography, and oil film thickness was estimated from the LIF intensity. Differences of the oil film distributions and the oil film thickness depending on piston shapes were investigated for four types of pistons. It was concluded that V-cut ditch grooved at the top of the piston skirt affected inclined motion of a piston and barrel profile affected both inclined motion and eccentric motion of a piston to thrust side.
CitationOhsawa, K., Kiyama, S., Nakamura, Y., Ochiai, Y. et al., "Visualization Study on Lubricant Oil Film Behavior around Piston Skirt," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2119, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2119.
- Nakanishi, K. Okada, Y. et al. “New Approach for Piston Assembly Friction Analysis Based on Empirical Data” JSAE paper 20095529 2009
- Sue, S. Kawao, K. et al. “Analysis of Piston Friction by Piston Skirt Structure” JSAE paper 20095721 2009
- Fujita, K. Katou, M. at al. “Effect of profiles of piston skirt on the behavior of lubricant oil” JSAE paper 20105407 2010
- Sasaki, M. Takahashi, N. et al. “Development of Low Friction Lubricant for Piston” JSAE paper 20105097 2010
- Inagaki, H. Saito, A. et al. “Measurement of Oil Film Thickness Distribution on Piston Surface Using the Fluorescence Method” JSME International Journal, Series B 40 3 1997