This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine Deposit Analysis: Combustion Chamber and Intake Valve Deposits
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The delicate balance between global supply and demand for energy, in conjunction with environmental concerns related to burning fossil fuels, have resulted in vehicle designs that stress higher fuel economy. Among new engine designs is Direct Injection Spark Ignition, or DISI, which employs a more precise fuel metering system and is designed for combustion at higher compression ratios than Port Fuel Injection (PFI) engines. As a result, the performance of DISI engines can easily be altered by the presence of carbonaceous deposits on intake valves and in the combustion chamber.
In this study, the characteristics of these deposits have been investigated using elemental and thermal analytical techniques. Deposits from intake valves and combustion chambers have been collected from various DISI engines (both older and more modern ones). We have found that both fuel and engine lubricant contribute to the composition of deposits, and in particular:
- DISI intake valve deposit compositions consist of 10% (by weight) or higher non-carbon (inorganic) elements, of which Ca, Mo, Zn, P and S are dominant. The amount of these inorganic elements in the DISI engine intake valve deposit is at least one order of magnitude higher than in the PFI intake valve deposit.
- Thermal and elemental analysis data shows that significant differences exist in deposit volatility and its amount of inorganic components between combustion chamber deposits produced from Group III base oil (lower) and PAO (Poly-Alpha-Olefin) base oil (higher). No correlation was observed between lube oil sulfated ash value and elemental composition of deposits.
- Elemental composition of combustion chamber deposits is not significantly changed by the presence or absence of the fuel additives studied.
- The inorganic composition of DISI engine combustion chamber deposits show no significant differences when compared with PFI engine combustion chamber deposits.
CitationParsinejad, F. and Biggs, W., "Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine Deposit Analysis: Combustion Chamber and Intake Valve Deposits," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2110, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2110.
- Kalghatgi, G. T. “Deposits in Gasoline Engines - A Literature Review” SAE 902105
- Kalghatgi, G. T. “Combustion Chamber Deposits in Spark Ignition Engines: A Literature Review” SAE 952443 , Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Toronto, Ontario October 16 19 1995
- Price, R. J. Martin, D. P. Dickens, N. “The Impact of Inlet Valve Deposits on PFI Gasoline SI Engines - Quantified Effects on Fuel Consumption” Fuels and Emissions Conference Cape Town, South Africa January 23 25 2007
- Tondelli, G. Carriero, M. Pedicillo, A. “Combustion Chamber Deposits: Fuel and Lubricant Effects on Exhaust Hydrocarbon Emissions Measured by Fast FID Analyzer” International Spring Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Paris, France June 19 22 2000
- Lepperhoff, G. Houben, M. “Mechanisms of Deposit Formation in Internal Combustion Engines and Heat Exchangers” SAE 931032 , International Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI March 1 5 1993
- Hsieh, W. D. Lu, J. H. Chen, R. H. Lin, T. H. “Deposit Formation Characteristics of Gasoline Spray in a Stagnation-Point Flame” Combustion and Flame 256 2009 1909 1916
- Cheng, S. S. Changsoo, K. “Effect of Engine Operating Parameters on Engine Combustion Chamber Deposits” SAE 902108 , International Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Tulsa, Oklahoma October 22 25 1990
- Cheng, S. S. “A Physical Mechanics for Deposit Formation in a Combustion Chamber” SAE 941892 , Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Baltimore, Maryland October 17 20 1994
- Cheng, S. S. “A Micrographic Study of Deposit Formation Processes in a Combustion Chamber” SAE 962008 , International Fall Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition San Antonio, Texas October 14 17 1996
- Cheng, S. S. “The Impact of Engine Operating Conditions and Fuel Compositions on the Formation of Combustion Chamber Deposits” SAE 2000-01-2025 , International Fall Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Paris, France June 19 22 2000
- Nakic, D. J. Assanis, D. N White, R. A. “Effects of Elevated Piston Temperature on Combustion Chamber Deposit Growth” SAE 940948 , International Congress and Exposition Detroit MI February 28 March 3 1994
- Yeh, S. W. Moore, S. M. Sabourin, E. T. “The Effects of Engine Operating Conditions on CCD Chemistry and Morphology” Symposium on the Mechanism of Combustion Chamber Deposits, 211 th National Meeting American Chemical Society New Orleans, Louisiana March 24 29 1996
- Uehara, T. Takei, Y. Hoshi, H. Shiratani, K. Okada, M. “Study on Combustion Chamber Deposit Formation Mechanism - Influence of Fuel Components and Gasoline Detergens” SAE 971722 , International Spring Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Dearborn, Michigan May 5 8 1997
- Kelemen, S. R. Siskin, M. Most, W. J. Kwiatek, P. J. Pugmire, R. J. Solum, M. S. “Combustion Chamber Deposits from Base Fuel and Commercial IVD Detergent Packages” SAE 982716 , International Fall Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition San Francisco, California October 19 22 1998
- Kelemen, S. R. Siskin, M. Homad, H. S. Pugmire, R. J. Solum, M. S. “Fuel, Lubricant and Additive Effects on Combustion Chamber Deposits” SAE 982715 , International Fall Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition San Francisco, California October 19 22 1998
- Homan, H. S. Kelemen, S. R. “The Effects of Gasoline Additive, Automobile Make, and Driving Cycle on Intake Valve Deposits (IVD) and Combustion Chamber Deposits (CCD) in Ten Car Fleet Test” SAE 972836 , International Fall Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Tulsa, Oklahoma October 13 16 1997
- Arters, D. C. Macduff, M. J. “The Effects of Vehicle Performance on Injector Deposits in a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine” SAE 2000-01-2021
- Watanabe, M. Ichikawa, T. Hirose, M. Oyama, K. Ashida, T. Takei, Y. Okada, M. “Effects of CCD on Emissions from DISI Engine Using Different Fuel Distillation Properties” SAE 2004-01-1954 , Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition Toulouse, France June 8 10 2004
- China, P. Rivere, J. P. “Development of a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine Test for Injector Fouling” JSAE 20030060, International Spring Fuels and Lubricants Meeting Yokohama, Japan May 19 22 2003
- Dumont, R. J. Evans, J. A. Feist, D. P. Studzinski, W. M. Cushing, T. J. “Test and Control of Fuel Injector Deposits in Direct Injected Spark Ignition Vehicles” SAE 2009-01-2641
- Owrang, F. Mattsson, H Nordlund, A. Olsson, J. Pedersen, J. “Characterization of Combustion Chamber Deposits from Gasoline Direct Injection SI Engine” SAE 2003-01-0546