This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Transmission Electron Microscopy of Soot Particles sampled directly from a Biodiesel Spray Flame
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For better understanding of soot formation and oxidation processes in a biodiesel spray flame, the morphology, microstructure and sizes of soot particles directly sampled in a spray flame fuelled with soy-methyl ester were investigated using transmission electron microscopy (TEM). The soot samples were taken at different axial locations in the spray flame, 40, 50 and 70 mm from injector nozzle, which correspond to soot formation, peak, and oxidation zones, respectively. The biodiesel spray flame was generated in a constant-volume combustion chamber under a diesel-like high pressure and temperature condition (6.7 MPa, 1000K). Density, diameter of primary particles and radius of gyration of soot aggregates reached a peak at 50 mm from the injector nozzle and was lower or smaller in the formation or oxidation zones of the spray.
- Caroline L. Genzale - Georgia Institute of Technology
- Jean-Guillaume Nerva - Universidad Politécnica de Valencia
- Teruo Yamaguchi - Meiji Univ.
- Hiroki Iguma - Meiji Univ.
- Hiroki Nishigai - Meiji Univ.
- Katsufumi Kondo - Meiji Univ.
- Satoshi Takano - Meiji Univ.
- Tetsuya Aizawa - Meiji Univ.
- Lyle M. Pickett - Sandia National Laboratories
CitationNerva, J., Yamaguchi, T., Iguma, H., Nishigai, H. et al., "Transmission Electron Microscopy of Soot Particles sampled directly from a Biodiesel Spray Flame," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2046, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2046.
- Lee, K.O. Cole, R. Sekar, R. Choi, M. Y Kang, J.S. Bae, C.S. Shin, H.D. Morphological Investigation of the Microstructure, Dimensions, and Fractal Geometry of Diesel Particulates Proceedings of Combustion Institute 29 647 653 2002
- Tian, K. Thomson, K.A. Liu, F. Snelling, D.R. Smallwood, G.J. Wang, D. Determination of the Morphology of Soot Aggregates Using the Relative Optical Density Method for the Analysis of TEM images Combustion and Flame 144 782 791 2006
- Kock, B.F. Tribalet, B. Schulz, C. Roth, P. Two-color time-resolved LII applied to soot particle sizing in the cylinder of a Diesel engine Combustion and Flame 147 79 92 2006
- Lapuerta, M. Martos, F.J. Herreros, J.M. Effect of engine operating conditions on the size of primary particles composing diesel soot agglomerates Journal of Aerosol Science 38 455 466 2007
- Kook, S. Pickett, L.M. Soot Volume Fraction and Morphology of Conventional and Surrogate Jet Fuel Sprays at 1000-K and 6.7-MPa Ambient Conditions Proc. Combust. Inst. 33 2911 2918 2011
- Boehman, A.L. Song, J. Alam, M. Impact of Biodiesel Blending on Diesel Soot and the Regeneration of Particulate Filters Energy & Fuels 19 1857 1864 2005
- Wal, R.L. Vander Mueller, C.J. Initial Investigation of Effects of Fuel Oxygenation on Nanostructure of Soot from a Direct-Injection Engine Energy & Fuels 20 2364 2369 2006
- Yehliu, K. Boehman, A.L. Armas, O. Emission from Different Alternatve Diesel Fuels Operating with Single and Split Fuel Injection Fuel 89-2 423 437 2010
- Armas, O. Yehliu, K. Boehman, A.L. Effect of Alternative Fuels on Exhaust Emissions during Diesel Engine Operation with Matched Combustion Phasing Fuel 89 438 456 2010
- Kosaka, H. Aizawa, T. Kamimoto, T. Two-dimensional imaging of ignition and soot formation processes in a diesel flame Int. J. Engine Res. 6 21 42 2005
- Engine Combustion Network experimental data archive http://www.ca.sandia.gov/ECN/
- Pickett, L. Genzale, C. Bruneaux, G. Malbec, L. et al. “Comparison of Diesel Spray Combustion in Different High-Temperature, High-Pressure Facilities,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3 2 156 181 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2106
- Nerva, J.-G. Genzale, C.L. Kook, S. García-Oliver, J.M. Pickett, L.M. Fundamental Spray and Combustion Measurements of Biodiesel under Diesel Steady Conditions
- Genzale, C. Pickett, L. Kook, S. “Liquid Penetration of Diesel and Biodiesel Sprays at Late-Cycle Post-Injection Conditions,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 479 495 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0610
- Pickett, L.M. Siebers, D.L. An Investigation of Diesel Soot Formation Processes Using Micro-Orifices Proc. Combust. Inst. 29 655 662 2002
- Mueller, C.J. Pickett, L.M. Sievers, D.L. Pitz, W.J. Westbrook, C.K. Martin, G.C. Effects of Oxygenates on Soot Processes in DI Diesel Engines: Experiments and Numerical Simulations SAE Paper, 2003-01-1791 2003
- Lee, K.O. Megaridis, C.M. Zelepouga, S. Saveliev, A.V. Kennedy, L.A. Charon, O. Ammouri, F. Soot Formation Effects of Oxygen Concenration in the Oxidizer Stream of Laminar Coannular Nonpremixed Methane/Air Flames Combustion and Flame 121 323 333 2000
- Xi, J. Zhong, B.-J. Soot in Diesel Combustion Systems Chemical Engineering & Technology 29 665 673 2006
- Tree, D.R. Svensson, K. I. Soot processes in compression ignition engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 33 272 309 2007
- Kosaka, H. Nishigaki, T. Kamimoto, T. Harada, S. A Study on Soot Formation and Oxidation in an Unsteady Spray Flame via SAE Paper, 952451 1995