This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Hydrogen Jet Configuration by Single Hole Nozzle and High Speed Laser Shadowgraphy in High Pressure Direct Injection Hydrogen Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new ignition-combustion concept named PCC (Plume Ignition Combustion Concept), which ignite rich mixture plume in the middle of injection period or right after injection of hydrogen is completed, is proposed by the authors in order to reduce NOx emissions in high engine load conditions with minimizing trade-offs on thermal efficiency. In this study fundamental requirements of hydrogen jet to optimize PCC are investigated by using single and multi-hole nozzle with a combination of high speed laser shadowgraphy to visualize propagating flame. As a result, it was infered that igniting the mixture plume in the middle of injection period with minimizing jet penetration to chamber wall is effective reducing NOx formation even further.
CitationOikawa, M., Ogasawara, Y., Kondo, Y., Sekine, K. et al., "Optimization of Hydrogen Jet Configuration by Single Hole Nozzle and High Speed Laser Shadowgraphy in High Pressure Direct Injection Hydrogen Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-2002, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-2002.
- Takagi, Yasuo et al. “R & D of High Pressure Direct Injection Hydrogen Engine Systems” 20085319, Journal of JSAE 39 5 65 70
- Naganuma, K. Honda, T. Yamane, K. Takagi, Y. et al. “Efficiency and Emissions-Optimized Operating Strategy of a High-pressure Direct Injection Hydrogen Engine for Heavy-duty Trucks,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 132 140 2010 10.4271/2009-01-2683
- Shioji, M. et al. “Performance and Combustion Characteristics of a Direct-injection Hydrogen Engine” Journal of JSAE 38 1 109 114
- Naganuma, Kaname et al. “Characteristics of low NOx formation of over-rich-mixture plume combustion in high pressure direct injection SI hydrogen engines” Journal of JSAE 41 3 685 690
- Ogasawara, Yusuke et al. “Characteristics of Low NOx Formation of Over-Rich-Mixture Plume Combustion in High Pressure Direct Injection SI Hydrogen Engines (2st Report)” 20105375, Proceedings of 2010 JSAE Annual Congress (Spring), No. 29-10 11 16 May 2010