This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Pilot Injection on Combustion Characteristics and Emissions in a DI Diesel Engine Fueled with Diesel and DME
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work experimentally investigates how the dwell time between pilot injection and main injection influences combustion characteristics and emissions (NOx, CO, THC and Smoke) in a single-cylinder DI diesel engine. Additionally, results from diesel injection are compared with those shown in dimethyl ether (DME) injection under the identical injection strategy to demonstrate the sensitivity of the combustion characteristics and emissions to changes of the fuel type. Two fuel injection systems are applied for this experiment due to the differences of fuel characteristic with regard to physical and chemical properties. The injection strategy is accomplished by varying the dwell time (10°CA, 16°CA and 22°CA) between injections at five main injection timings (-4°CA aTDC, -2°CA aTDC, TDC, 2°CA aTDC and 4°CA aTDC).
It was found that pilot injection offers good potential to lower the heat-release rate with reduced pressure traces regardless of the dwell time between injections and fuel type. Pilot injection also allows stable combustion even for extensive combustion phasing retard, which reduces the NOx emissions. This means that it is indeed possible, and higher BMEP could be achieved for pilot-main injection operation. Contrary to the expectations, pilot injection is found to play a lesser role in reducing the NOx emissions, but NOx formation is mainly suppressed by the combustion phasing retard effect. A comparison of the emissions between diesel injection and DME injection under identical injection strategy shows that even DME injection exhibits higher NOx emissions than diesel injection, pilot injection is found to be more effective on DME for reducing the amount of NOx with combustion phasing retard, which indicates a level of NOx emissions similar to that of diesel injection. The CO and THC emission levels vary significantly with injection strategies in diesel injection, but they are typically found to be lower than 100 ppm in DME injections. Although the diesel pilot-main injection conditions show higher PM emissions than single-injection condition, DME has little PM regardless of injection strategy.
CitationJung, D., Jeong, J., Lim, O., Pyo, Y. et al., "Influence of Pilot Injection on Combustion Characteristics and Emissions in a DI Diesel Engine Fueled with Diesel and DME," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1958, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1958.
- Official Statistics of Sweden http://www.scb.se/ Jan 2005
- Vanegas, A. Won, H. Felsch, C. Gauding, M. Peters, N. “Experimental Investigation of the Effect of Multiple Injections on Pollutant Formation in a Common-Rail DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2008-01-1191 2008
- Gill, K. Marriner, C. Sison, L. Zhao, H. “In-cylinder Studies of Multiple Diesel Fuel Injection in a Single Cylinder Optical Engine” SAE Paper 2005-01-0915 2009
- Ehleskog, R. Ochoterena, R. L. Andersson, S. “Effects of Multiple Injections on Engine-Out Emissions Levels Including Particulate Mass from an HSDI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2007-01-0910 2007
- Okude, K. Mori, K. Shiino, S. Yamada, K. Matsumoto, Y. “Effects of Multiple Injections on Diesel Emissions and Combustion Characteristics” SAE Paper 2007-01-4178 2007
- Baumgarten, C. “Mixture Formation in Internal Combustion Engines” Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2006
- Verbeek, R. P. Van Doom, A. Van Walwijk, M. “Global assessment of di-methyl ether as an automotive fuel 2 nd TNO Road-Vehicles Research Institute 1996
- Arcoumanis, C. “The second European Auto-Oil programme (AOLII)” European Commission 2 Alternative Fuel for Transportation 2000
- Fleisch, T.H. Meurer, C. “DME, The diesel fuel for the 21st Century?” AVL conference engine and environment 2005
- Kim, M. Y. Yoon, S. H. Park, K. H. Lee, C. S. “Effect of Multiple Injection Strategies on the Emission Characteristics of Dimethyl Ether (DME)-Fueled Compression Ignition Engine” Energy & Fuel 21 2673 2681 2007
- Teng, H. McCandless, J. C. Schneyer, J. B. “Thermo-chemical characteristics of di-methyl ether - an alternative fuel for compression-ignition engines” SAE Paper 2001-01-0154 2001
- Acroumanis, C. Bae, C. S. Crookes, R. Kimoshita, E. “The potential of di-methyl ether (DME) as an alternative fuel for compression-ignition engines: A review FUEL 87 7 1014 1030 2008
- Suh, H. K. Yoon, S. H. Lee, C. S. “Effect of Multiple Injection Strategies on the Spray Atomization and Reduction of Exhaust Emissions in a Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Dimethyl Ether (DME)” Energy & Fuel 24 1323 1332 2010
- Robert Bosch GmbH “Diesel-Engine Management” 4 th Robert Bosch GmbH 2005
- Edgar, B. Dibble, R. W. Naegeli, D. W. “Autoignition of di-methyl ether and di-methoxy methane sprays at high pressures” SAE Paper 971677 1997
- Zhao, X. Meifeng, R. Liu, Z. “Critical solubility of dimethyl ether (DME) + diesel fuel and dimethyl carbonate (DMC) + diesel fuel” Fuel 28 2380 2383 2005
- Goto, S. Oguma, M. Suzuki, S. “Research and development of a medium duty DME truck” SAE Paper 2005-01-2194 2005
- Egnell, R. “Comparison of heat release and NOx formation in a DI diesel engine running on DME and diesel fuel” SAE Paper 2001-01-0651 2001
- Kapus, P. Ofner, H. “Development of fuel injection equipment and combustion system for DI diesels operated on di-methyl ether” SAE Paper 950062 1995
- Teng, H. McCandless, J. J. Schneyer, J. B. “Compression Ignition Delay (Physical+Chemical) of Dimethyl Ether - An Alternative Fuel for Compression Ignition Engines” SAE Paper 2003-01-0759 2003
- Teng, H. Regner, G. “Fuel Injection Strategy for Reducing NOx Emissions from Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines Fueled with DME” SAE Paper 2006-01-3324 2006
- Sjoberg, M. Dec, J.E. Cernansky, N.P. “Potential of Thermal Stratification and Combustion Retard for Reducing Pressure-Rise Rates in HCCI Engine, based on Multi-Zone Modeling and Experiments” SAE Paper 2005-01-0113 2005
- Heywood, J. B. Internal combustion engine fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1998
- Paolo, C. Antonio, F. Domenico, L. “PILOT INJECTION BEHAVIOR AND ITS EFFECTS ON COMBUSTION IN A COMMON RAIL DIESEL ENGINE” IFAC 2001