This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of the Portability of a 3D CFD Model for the Dynamics of Sprays Issuing from Multi-Hole GDI Injectors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Three high pressure multi-hole GDI injectors, one manufactured by Continental, two manufactured by Bosch, are experimentally characterized under various injection strategies in terms of instantaneous mass flow rate and fuel dispersion. Spray visualization within an optically accessible pressure vessel allows the measurement of the single jet cone angle and penetration length.
A portable numerical model for the issuing spray dynamics is developed within the AVL Fire code, exploiting a log-normal distribution for the initial droplets diameter, whose expected value and variance are properly defined as a function of the main physical parameters. Tuning of the entering constants is realized by means of an automatic optimization procedure.
An example of application of the spray model within a 3D simulation of the in-cylinder process of a GDI engine is presented. Effects of splitting injection into two successive events are discussed.
CitationAllocca, L., Costa, M., Montanaro, A., and Sorge, U., "Study of the Portability of a 3D CFD Model for the Dynamics of Sprays Issuing from Multi-Hole GDI Injectors," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1897, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1897.
- Küsell, M Moser, W Philipp, M 1999 Motronic MED7 for gasoline direct injection engines: engine management system and calibration procedures SAE Paper 1999-01-1284
- Çelik, M B Özdalyan, B 2010 Gasoline direct injection Fuel Injection Siano, Daniela 978-953-307-116-9 Sciyo http://www.intechopen.com/articles/show/title/gasoline-direct-injection
- Alkidas, AC 2007 Combustion Advancements in Gasoline Engines Energy Conversion and Management 48 2751 2761
- Bosch, W 1966 The fuel rate indicator: a new measuring instrument for display of the characteristics of individual injection” SAE Paper 6607496
- Wallace, I 2002 Injection Rate Gauge: Pass Off Information and User Instructions Fuel & Engine Management Systems Graz
- Alfuso, S Allocca, L Greco, M Montanaro, A Valentino, G 2008 Time and space characterization of multi-hole GDI sprays for IC engines by images processing and PDA techniques Paper ILASS08-071
- AVL Fire v2009 Users Guide ICE Physics & Chemistry
- Costa, M Sorge, U Allocca, L 2010 Numerical study of the mixture formation process in a four strokes GDI engine for two-wheels applications, in publication on Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory J. 19 4 1212 1226
- Huh, K Y Gosman, A D 1991 A phenomenological model of diesel spray atomization Int. Conf. on Multiphase Flows 1991 Tsukuba, Japan
- Malaguti, S Fontanesi, S Cantore, G 2010 Numerical characteriztion of a new high-pressure multi-hole GDI injector ILASS Europe 2010 Brno (CZ)
- Li, T Nishida, K Zhang, Y Hiroyasu, H 2007 Effect of split injection on stratified charge formation of direct injection spark ignition engines International Journal of Engine Research 8 205 218