This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Control Chemical-Kinetics Studies with Natural Gas in HCRI Enhanced Four-Stroke DI SI
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A novel NOx reduction approach for 4-stroke direct-injection spark-ignition natural gas engines is examined. Secondary chambers are fitted into the cylinder peripheries as radical ignition (RI) species generation sites and equipped to enable fuel-insertion control and rapid heat addition. These chambers can thus regulate the production and transfer (into the main chamber) of RI species to augment combustion for reduced NOx and increased combustion stability. The analysis uses experimental data and full chemical-kinetics. The formulation governing equations are solved within multiple zones in both the secondary and main chambers, as the gas mixtures interact thermo-chemically and hydro-dynamically among themselves, with the internal cylinder boundaries and with the manifold (exchanging energy, momentum, mass and chemical species). Results suggest the potential of this technology for simultaneous NOx and CO reduction.
CitationBlank, D., "Combustion Control Chemical-Kinetics Studies with Natural Gas in HCRI Enhanced Four-Stroke DI SI," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1895, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1895.
- Blank, D. A., “CNG / Methane-Combustion in Homogeneous-Combustion Radical-Ignition D.I. Diesel Engines”, SAE Paper No. 2007-01-0047, 2007.
- Blank, D. A., Pouring, A. A., and Lu, J., “Methanol Combustion in Low Compression Ratio DI Engines Enabled by Sonex Piston Design”, 2001 SAE Transactions, Vol. 110, Journal of Engines, Section 3, pages 1234-1252, 2001 (also SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1197).
- Blank, D. A., “CNG / Methane-Combustion Kinetics (without N2) and Frozen Equilibrium in Radical-Initiated Low Compression Ratio D.I. Diesel Engines Using Pistons with Micro-Chambers”, 2004 SAE Transactions, Vol. 113, Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, Section 4, pages 724-763, 2004 (also SAE Paper No. 2004-01-1677).
- Blank, D. A. and Pouring, A. A., “Radical Controlled Autoignition at Reduced Compression Ratios in a Hydrogen D.I. Diesel Engine with Piston Micro-Chambers”, 2004 SAE Transactions, Vol. 113, Journal of Engines, Section 3, pages 1185-1182, 2004 (also SAE Paper No. 2004-1846).
- Blank, D. A., “Lean Combustion Chemical-Kinetics Studies of and Ethanol Four-Stroke Radical-Ignition DI-Engine”, 2004 SAE Transactions, Vol. 116, Journal of Engines, Section 3, pages 444-462 (also SAE Paper No. 2007-01-0623).
- Blank, D. A., “NOx Reduction in Natural Gas RI Species Augmented Large Bore Four-Stroke SI Engines”, SAE Paper No. 2011-26-0005, 2011.
- Biruduganti, M., Gupta, S., et. al., “Air Separation Membranes - an Alternative to EGR in large Bore Natural Gas Engines”, ICES2009-76054.
- Heywood, J. B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1988.
- Semenov, N.N., Some Problems in Chemical Kinetics and Reactivity, Princeton University Press, 1958.
- Walker, R. W., “Free Radicals in Combustion Chemistry”, Sci. Progress, Oxford, Part 2, Vol. 74, Num. 294, pp. 163-188, 1990.
- Vanpee, M., “On the Cool Flames of Methane”, Combust. Sci. and Tech., Vol. 93, pp.363-374, 1993.
- Blank, D. A., “Methane/CNG Combustion in a DI Radical-Ignition Rotary Engine with Low-Heat Rejection”, JSAE Paper 20077210 and SAE Paper 2007-01-1912, 2007.
- Blank, D. A. and Pouring, A. A. “Frozen Equilibrium and EGR Effects on Radical-Initiated H2 Combustion Kinetics in Low-Compression D.I. Engines Using Pistons with Micro-Chambers”, JSAE Paper 2003-0306 and SAE Paper 2003-01-1788, 2003.
- Blank, D. A., “Radical Controlled Autoignition in an HCRI Hydrogen DI Four-Stroke Diesel Engine with Reduced Heat Rejection” SAE Paper No. 2007-01-0013, 2007.
- Reyes, S. C., Iglesia, E. and Kelkar, C. P. “Kinetic-Transport Models of Bimodal Reaction Sequences -I. Homogeneous and Heterogeneous Pathways in Oxidative Coupling of Methane” Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 48, No. 14. pp. 2643-2661, 1993.
- Najt, P.M. and Foster, D.E., “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion”, SAE Paper 830264, 1983
- Broyden, C.G., Mathematics of Computation, vol. 19, pp. 577-593, 1965.
- Minkowycz, W.J., Sparrow, E.M., et. al., Handbook of Numerical Heat Transfer, John Whiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1988.
- Blank, D.A., Pouring, A.A. and Lu, J., “Flame Quenching in the Micro-Chamber Passages of I.C. Engines with Regular-Symmetric Sonex Piston Geometry” SAE Paper 2001-28-0002, 2001.