This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
µMist® - The next generation fuel injection system: Improved atomisation and combustion for port-fuel-injected engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Swedish Biomimetics 3000's μMist® platform technology has been used to develop a radically new injection system. This prototype system, developed and characterized with support from Lotus, as part of Swedish Biomimetics 3000®'s V₂IO innovation accelerating model, delivers improved combustion efficiency through achieving exceptionally small droplets, at fuel rail pressures far less than conventional GDI systems and as low as PFI systems. The system gives the opportunity to prepare and deliver all of the fuel load for the engine while the intake valves are open and after the exhaust valves have closed, thereby offering the potential to use advanced charge scavenging techniques in PFI engines which have hitherto been restricted to direct-injection engines, and at a lower system cost than a GDI injection system. The work to date on a prototype injector concentrated on imaging of the fuel spray and combustion in a high-speed optical engine, and emissions and fuel consumption in a functionally identical single-cylinder thermodynamic engine. The performance and emissions measurements included PM, CO and THC emissions combined with IMEP, COV of IMEP and ISFC. The results confirmed performance superior to PFI, and even exceeded some typical GDI characteristics.
- G. Wigley - Loughborough Univ.
- R. Patel - Lotus Engineering
- G. Pitcher - Lotus Engineering
- J. W. G. Turner - Lotus Engineering
- C. Card - Lotus Engineering
- A. C. McIntosh - University of Leeds
- N. Beheshti - Swedish Biomimetics 3000® Ltd.
- R. G. Walker - Swedish Biomimetics 3000® Ltd.
- L.-U. Larsson - Swedish Biomimetics 3000® Ltd.
- A. Copestake - Swedish Biomimetics 3000® Ltd.
CitationBeheshti, N., Walker, R., Larsson, L., Copestake, A. et al., "µMist® - The next generation fuel injection system: Improved atomisation and combustion for port-fuel-injected engines," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1890, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1890.
- Beheshti, N. McIntosh, A.C. A Biomimetic Study of the Explosive Discharge of the Bombardier Beetle Int. Journal of Design & Nature 1 1 61 69 2007
- Beheshti, N. McIntosh, A.C. The Bombardier Beetle and its Use of a Pressure Relief Valve System to Deliver a Periodic Pulsed Spray Bioinsp. Biomim. 2 57 64 2007
- Dahlander, P. High-Speed Photography and Phase Doppler Anemometry Measurements of Flash-Boiling Multi-Hole Injector Sprays for Spray-Guided Gasoline Direct Injection SIAMUF 2006
- Reitz, R. D. A Photographic Study of Flash-Boiling Atomization Aerosol Science and Technology 12 3 561 569 1990
- Senda, J. Wada, Y. Kawano, D. Fujimoto, H. Improvement of Combustion and Emissions in Diesel Engines by Means of Enhanced Mixture Formation Based on Flash Boiling of Mixed Fuel International Journal of Engine Research 9 1 15 27 2008
- Mojtabi, M. Wigley, G. Jedelsky, J. Helie, J. A Comparison between One and Two Component Velocity and Size Measurements in a Dense Spray 23rd Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems Brno, Czech Republic September 2010
- Rotondi, R. Hélie, J. Leger, C. Mojtabi, M. Wigley, G. Multihole gasoline direct injection spray plumes 23rd Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems Brno, Czech Republic September 2010
- Wigley, G. Pitcher, G. Nuglisch, H. Helie, J. Ladommatos, N. Fuel Spray Formation and Gasoline Direct Injection AVL 8 th International Symposium on Combustion Diagnostics June 2008 Baden-Baden, Germany
- Stansfield, P. Wigley, G. Garner, C. Patel, R. Ladommatos, N. Pitcher, G. Turner, J. Nuglisch, H. Helie, J. Unthrottled Engine Operation Using Variable Valve Actuation: The Impact on the Flow Field, Mixing and Combustion SAE Technical Paper Series 2007, SAE paper 2007-01-1414
- Heywood, J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals 299 McGraw-Hill Singapore 1988
- Patel, R. Ladommatos, N. Stansfield, P. Wigley, G. Garner, C. Pitcher, G. Turner, J. Nuglisch, H. Comparison between Unthrottled, Single and Two-valve Induction Strategies Utilising Direct Gasoline Injection: Emissions, Heat-release and Fuel Consumption Analysis SAE Technical Paper Series 2008, SAE paper 2008-01-1626
- Noda, T. Iriya, Y. Naitoh, K. Mitsumoto, H. Iiyama, A. Effect of mixture formation on WOT output of a direct-injection gasoline engine JSAE Review 20 177 181 1999