This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Internal flow and Spray of Multihole DI Gasoline Spray using X-ray Imaging and CFD
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Multi-hole DI injectors are being adopted in the advanced downsized DISI ICE powertrain in the automotive industry worldwide because of their robustness and cost-performance. Although their injector design and spray resembles those of DI diesel injectors, there are many basic but distinct differences due to different injection pressure and fuel properties, the sac design, lower L/D aspect ratios in the nozzle hole, closer spray-to-spray angle and hense interactions. This paper used Phase-Contrast X ray techniques to visualize the spray near a 3-hole DI gasoline research model injector exit and compared to the visible light visualization and the internal flow predictions using with multi-dimensional multi-phase CFD simulations. The results show that strong interactions of the vortex strings, cavitation, and turbulence in and near the nozzles make the multi-phase turbulent flow very complicated and dominate the near nozzle breakup mechanisms quite unlike those of diesel injections.
- Ming-Chia Lai - Wayne State Univ.
- Yi Zheng - Wayne State Univ.
- Mark Shost - Wayne State Univ.
- Xingbin Xie - Wayne State Univ.
- Atsushi Matsumoto - Wayne State Univ.
- Lars Zigan - Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
- Ingo Schmitz - Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
- Michael Wensing - Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
- Alfred Leipertz - Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
- Jin Wang - Argonne National Laboratory
- Xusheng Zhang - Argonne National Laboratory
- Seoksu Moon - Argonne National Laboratory
- Jian Gao - Argonne National Laboratory
- Kamel Fezzaa - Argonne National Laboratory
CitationLai, M., Zheng, Y., Shost, M., Xie, X. et al., "Characterization of Internal flow and Spray of Multihole DI Gasoline Spray using X-ray Imaging and CFD," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1881, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1881.
- Zhao, F.-Q. Harrington, D. L. Lai, M.-C. 2002 Automotive Gasoline Direct Injection Engines Society of Automotive Engineers R-31
- Dumouchel, C. 2008 “On the Experimental Investigation on Primary Atomization of Liquid Streams,” Exp Fluids 45 371 422
- Gorokhovski, M. Herrmann, M. 2008 “Modeling Primary Atomization,” Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 40 343 366
- Reitz, R. D. 1978 “Atomization and other Breakup Regimes of a Liquid Jet,” PhD thesis Princeton Univ. Princeton, NJ
- Reitz, R. D. Bracco, F.V. 1982 “Mechanism of atomization of a liquid jet,” Phys. Fluids. 25 1730 42
- Wu, P. K. Miranda, R. F. Faeth, G. M. 1995 “Effects of Initial Flow Conditions on Primary Breakup of Nonturbulent and Turbulent Round Liquid Jets,” Atomiz. Sprays 5 2
- Lin, S. P. Reitz, R. D. 1998 “Drop and Spray Formation from a Liquid Jet,” Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 30 85 105
- Arai, M. Shimizu, M. Hiroyasu, H. 1985 “Break-up length and spray angle of high speed jet.” Proceedings of ICLASS '85 London, UK 8 10 July 1985
- Soteriou, C. C. E. Andrews, R. J. 1993 “Cavitation Hydraulic Flip and Atomization in Direct Injection Diesel Sprays,” Proc IMechE, C465/051/93 45 65
- Chaves, H. Knapp, M. Kubitzek, A. Obermeier, F. 1995 “Experimental Study of Cavitation in the Nozzle Hole of Diesel Injectors using Transparent Nozzles.” SAE Paper 950290
- Lai, M.-C. Wang, T.-C. Xie, X. Han, J. Henein, N. A. Schwarz, E. Bryzik, W. 1999 “Microscopic characterization of Diesel Sprays at VCO Nozzle Exit” J. Fuels & Lubricants, SAE Transc. 107 4 1283 1293
- Hiroyasu, H. 2000 “Spray breakup mechanism from the hole-type nozzle and its applications,” Atomiz. Sprays 10 511 527
- Arcoumanis, C. Badami, M. Flora, H. Gavaises, M. 2000 “Cavitation in real-size multi-hole diesel injector nozzles.” SAE Trans. J. Engines 109-3 2000-01-1249
- Gavaises, M. Arcoumanis, C. Roth, H. Choi, Y.S. Theodorakakos, A. 2004 “Nozzle flow and spray development from VCO diesel injector nozzles,” Selected Papers from THIESEL 2002 Conference on Thermo- and Fluid-Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines Whitelaw Arcoumanis Payri Springer Verlag 31 48
- Andriotis, A. Gavaises, M. Arcoumanis, C. 2008 “Vortex flow and cavitation in diesel injector nozzles,” J. Fluid Mech 610 195 215
- Andriotis, A. Gavaises, M. 2009 “Influence of Vortex Flow and Cavitation on Near-nozzle Diesel Spray Dispersion Angle,” Atomiz. Sprays 19 3
- Shi, J.-M. Wenzlawski, K. Helie, J. Nuglisch, H. Cousin, J. 2010 “URANS & SAS analysis of Flow Dynamics in a GDI nozzle,” 23rd Annual European Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, ILASS-Europe Brno 2010
- Lai, M.-C. Zheng, Y. Xie, X. Moon, S. Liu, Z. Gao, J. Fezzaa, K. Wang, J. Shi, J.-M. 2011 “Characterization of the Near-Field Spray and Internal Flow of Single-Hole and Multi-Hole Sac Nozzles using Phase Contrast X-Ray Imaging and CFD,” SAE Paper 2011-01-0681
- Som, S. Aggarwal, S. K. 2010 “Effects of Primary Breakup Modeling on Spray and Combustion Characteristics of Compression Ignition Engines,” Combust. Flame 157 1179 1193
- Wang, Y. Liu, X. Im, K.-S. Lee, W.-K. Wang, J. Hung, D. Winkelman, J. 2008 “Ultrafast x-ay study of dense-liquid-jet flow dynamics using structure-tracking velocimetry,” Nature Physics 4 305 309
- Zigan, L. Schmitz, I. Wensing, M. Leipertz, A. 2010 “Effect of fuel properties on primary breakup and spray formation studied at a gasoline 3-hole nozzle,” ILASS - Europe 2010, 23rd Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems Brno, Czech Republic
- Lai, M.-C. Zhao, F.-Q. Amer, A. Chue, T.-H. 1995 “An Experimental and Analytical Study of Fuel Sprays from Automotive Port Injectors,” J. Fuels & Lubricants, SAE Transc. 103 4 833 852
- Befrui, B. Corbinelli, G. D'Onofrio, M. Varble, D. L. 2011 “GDI Multi-Hole Injector Internal Flow and Spray Analysis,” SAE Paper 2011-01-1211
- Yoo, J. Zhao, F.-Q. Lai, M.-C. Lee, K.-S. 1998 “Characterization of Direct Injection Gasoline Sprays in Different Ambient and Wall Impingement Conditions,” SAE 982702
- Matsumoto, A. Zheng, Y. Xie, X Lai, M.-C. Moore, W. Yen, D. Hopkins, E. Foster, M. Confer, K. 2010 “Spray Characterization of Ethanol Gasoline Blends and Comparison to a CFD Model for a Gasoline Direct Injector,” SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 402 425 2010-01-0601
- Lesieur, M. Begou, P. Briand, E. Danet, A. Delcayre, F. Aider, J. L. 2003 “Coherent-vortex dynamics in large-eddy simulations of turbulence” Turbulence, J. 4 016 1 24