This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Air Entrainment and Oxygen Concentration on Endothermic and Heat Recovery Process of Diesel Ignition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The mixture formation prior to the ignition process is a key element in the diesel combustion because it significantly influences throughout the combustion process and exhaust emissions. Purpose of this study is to clarify the effects of ambient temperature, oxygen concentration and air entrainment into the spray on the heat release process during ignition delay periods. This study investigated diesel combustion fundamentally using a rapid compression machine and high speed digital video camera. The detail behavior of spray evaporation, spray interference and mixture formation during ignition delay period was investigated using the schlieren photography system. Ignition process, flame development and images of the spray ignition with extremely dark flame were investigated by light sensitivity direct photography method. Heat release processes were analyzed by pressure measurement in the chamber. Results show that short endothermic process produces slow heat recovery, leading to gentle increase of initial heat release rate. Low oxygen concentration produces slow heat recovery process rather than long endothermic period, which suggests fuel-air mixing is required to promote chemical reaction for the case of low oxygen-concentration atmosphere. Initial heat release is activated to some extent by increase of air entrainment into spray during ignition delay period. However, excessive air entrainment increases initial heat release little and rather affects diffusion combustion.
CitationKhalid, A., Hayashi, K., Kidoguchi, Y., and Yatsufusa, T., "Effect of Air Entrainment and Oxygen Concentration on Endothermic and Heat Recovery Process of Diesel Ignition," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1834, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1834.
- Aoyagi, Y. Kunishima, E. Asauimi, Y. Aihara, Y. Odaka, M. Goto, Y. “Diesel Combustion and Emission Using High Boost and High Injection Pressure in a Single Cylinder Engine” JSME International Journal 48 4 648 655 2005
- Choi, D. Miles, P.C. Yun, H. D.Reitz, R. “A Parametric Study of Low-Temperature, Late-Injection Combustion in a HSDI Diesel Engine” JSME International Journal 48 4 656 664 2005
- Ogawa, H. Li, T. Miyamoto, N. Kido, S. Shimizu, H. “Dependence of Ultra-High EGR and Low Temperature Diesel Combustion on Fuel Injection Conditions and Compression Ratio” SAE Paper 2006-01-3386 2006
- Horibe, N. Takahashi, K. Kee, S.-S. Ishiyama, T. Shioji, M. “The Effects of Injection Conditions and Combustion Chamber Geometry on Performance and Emissions of DI-PCCI Operation in a Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2007-01-1874 2007
- Goda, E. Kidoguchi, Y. Nitta, M. Miwa, K. “An Appraisal of High-Pressure Injection and High Squish Combustion Chamber for Reduction of Diesel Particulate” Trans. of JSAE, 34 3 49 54 2003
- Horibe, N. Annen, T. Miyazaki, Y. Ishiyama, T. “Heat Release Rate and NOx Formation Process in Two-Stage Injection Diesel PCCI Combustion in a Constant-Volume Vessel” SAE paper 2010-01-0608 2010
- Ishiyama, T. Miwa, K. Horikoshi, O. “A Study on Ignition Process of Diesel Spray” JSME International Journal 38 3 483 489 1995
- Khalid, A. Yatsufusa, T. Miyamoto, T. Kawakami, J. Kidoguchi, Y. “Analysis of Relation between Mixture Formation during Ignition Delay Period and Burning Process in Diesel Combustion” SAE Paper 2009-32-0018 1 10 2009
- Ikegami, M. Nakatani, K. Tanaka, S. Yamane, K. “Fuel Injection Rate Shaping and Its Effects on Exhaust Emissions in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Using a Spool Acceleration Type Injection System” SAE Paper 970347 1997
- Horibe, N. Harada, S. Ishiyama, T. Shioji, M. “Improvement of Low-Temperature Combustion by Two-Stage Injection” COMODIA 2008 159 166 2008
- Yatsufusa, T. Kawakami, J. Kidoguchi, Y. Khalid, A. Fujita, Y. Omae, K. “Effects of Supercharging, Swirl Strength and Fuel Injection Pressure on Development and Combustion of Diesel Spray” Trans. of JSAE 40 3 755 761 2009
- Kidoguchi, Y. Fujita, Y. Umemoto, K. Miwa, K. Omae, K. “A Study on Multi-hole Spray Interference and Mixture Formation in Diesel Combustion” Trans. of JSAE 39 3 137 143 2008
- Miwa, K. Ishiyama, T. Kanno, A. “Experimental Study on Fuel-Air Mixture Formation and Ignition Process in Diesel Combustion” JSME international Journal 57-554 4294 4299 1991
- Wakuri, Y. Fujii, M. Amitani, T. Tsuneya, R. “, studies on the Penetration of Fuel Spray of Diesel Engine” Bull. JSME 25 156 820 826 1959
- Ishiguro, J.i. Kidoguchi, Y. Ikegami, M. “Three-Dimensional Simulation of the Diesel Combustion Process” JSME International Journal 31 1 158 165 1988
- Ikegami, M. Shioji, M. Koike, M. Proc. 20th Symp. (Int.) Combustion 217 The Combustion Institute 1984