This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characteristics of HCCI Combustion in Homogenized Temperature Fields using a Super Rapid Compression Machine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition combustion in homogenized temperature fields was investigated experimentally using a super rapid compression machine. Temperature fields before a blue flame occurs are thought to control the burning process. The time of blue flame occurrence, burn rate and ignition delay time were measured. Temperature homogeneity before a blue flame occurred was controlled by two means. One was by the piston shape which controlled the roll-up vortex and the other was by the heat release of low temperature reactions that has a homogenizing effect. It was found that homogenized temperature fields contribute to the occurrence of a homogeneous blue flame while inhomogeneous fields produce an uneven occurrence.
CitationHasegawa, T., Kinoshita, M., Arima, T., Sato, K. et al., "Characteristics of HCCI Combustion in Homogenized Temperature Fields using a Super Rapid Compression Machine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1761, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1761.
- Najt, T. P.M. Foster, D.E. “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion” SAE Paper 830264-1863
- Garcia, M.T. Aguilar, Francisco Jose Jimenez-Espadafor Lencero, Tomas Sanchez “Experimental study of the performances of a modified diesel engine operating in homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) combustion mode versus the original diesel combustion mode” Energy 34 159 171 2009
- Stanglmaier, R.H. Roberts, C.E. Society of Automotive Engineers SAE- 1999-01-3682 1999
- Watanabe, Y. Morikawa, K. Tanabe, M. Kuwahara, T. “Evaluation of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition at High Engine Speeds using a Super Rapid Compression Machine” SAE 2008-01-2403 2008
- Lee, Daeyup Hochgreb, Simone “Rapid Compression Machine: Heat Transfer and Suppression of Corner Vortex” Combustion and Flame 114 531 545 1998
- Griffiths, J.F. Whitaker, B.J. “Thermokinetic Interactions Leading to Knock During Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition” Combustion and Flame 131 386 399 2002
- Clarkson, J. Griffiths, J.F. MacNamara, J.P. Whitaker, B. J. “Temperature Fields During the Development of Combustion in a Rapid Compression Machine” Combustion and Flame 125 1162 1175 2001
- Kinoshita, M. Arima, T. Sato, K. Hasegawa, T. Mitani, M. Takahashi, K. Kuwahara, T. Tanabe, M. “Influence of Ignition Process on the Burn Rate of the HCCI Combustion in a Super Rapid Compression Machine” ASPAC 2010
- Yamazaki, K. HAN, Jing Ishikawa, H. “A Study on Maximization of Dynamic Crushing Energy Absorption of Cylindrical Shell Structures” Proceedings of JSME, A 64 620 1077 1083 1998
- Ohta, Y. Hayashi, A. K. Fujiwara, T. Takahashi, H. n-Butane Ignition in a Wide Range of Temperature Progress in Aeronautics and Astronautics 113 1988 225 237 AIAA
- Tanaka, Shigeyuki Ayala, Ferran Keck, James C. “A reduced chemical kinetic model for HCCI combustion of primary reference fuels in a rapid compression machine” Combustion and Flame 133 467 481 2003
- Hiroyuki, Nakano Ockteck, Lim Norimasa, Iida “A Study about the Effect of Inhomogeneity on HCCI Combustion conducted on Rapid Compression Machine” the 19 th Symposium on Internal Engine Combustion 387 392 2007
- Ockteck, Lim Hiroaki, Nakano Norimasa, Iida “The Research of the Effects of Thermal Stratification on n-Heptane/iso-Octane-Air Mixture HCCI Combustion using a R.C.M.” JSAE 38 97 102 2007
- Tsuboi, Nobuyuki Katoh, Seiji Hayashi, A. Koichi “Three-Dimensional Numerical Simulation for Hydrogen/Air Detonation: Rectangular and Diagonal Structures” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 29 2 2002 2783 2788
- Ohta, Y. Takahashi, H. Homogeneity and Propagation of Autoignited Cool and Blue Flames Progress in Aeronautics and Astronautics 95 1985 236 247 AIAA