This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sound Transmission in Automotive Turbochargers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 17, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Turbochargers are common parts of a modern automotive engine. This paper presents an overview of the recent studies performed in the competence center for gas exchange studies at KTH on the sound transmission in turbochargers. The compressor and turbine of the turbochargers are treated as acoustic 2-ports and the scattering matrix for these devices are determined. A unique experimental facility established in the competence center for gas exchange research at KTH has been utilized to study the turbochargers at a variety of operating conditions systematically selected from compressor and turbine charts. A description of the experimental procedures to determine the acoustic 2-port data including techniques implemented to improve the quality of the results is presented. Results from a number of experiments on various modern automotive turbochargers including a unit with variable turbine geometry (VTG) are included. By plotting the up- and downstream transmission loss data against a dimensionless (He-number) frequency scale general characteristics for the sound transmission of turbochargers is found.
|Technical Paper||Noise Excitation by Auxiliary Units of Internal Combustion Engines|
|Technical Paper||“Herschel-Quincke Spiral” A New Interference Silencer|
|Technical Paper||Acoustic Analysis of Charge Air Coolers|
CitationTiikoja, H., Rämmal, H., Abom, M., and Boden, H., "Sound Transmission in Automotive Turbochargers," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1525, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1525.
- Rämmal, H. Åbom, M. “Acoustics of Turbochargers,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2205 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2205
- Rämmal, H. Åbom, M. “Experimental Determination of Sound Transmission in Turbo-Compressors,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2045 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2045
- Rämmal, H. Galindo, J. “The Passive Acoustic Effect of Turbo-Compressors,” 9 th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging UK May 19 20 2010
- Rämmal, H. Tiikoja, H. Åbom, M. Bodén, H. “Experimental Facility for the Complete Determination of Sound Transmission in Turbochargers,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1424 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1424
- Bodén, H. Åbom, M. “Modelling of Fluid Machines as Sources of Sound in Duct and Pipe Systems,” Acta Acustica 3 1 12 1995
- Åbom, M. “Measurement of the Scattering-Matrix of Acoustical Two-Ports,” Mech. Systems and Signal Proc 5 2 89 104 1991
- Peat, K. S. Torregrosa, A. J. Broach, A. Fernandez, T “An Investigation into the Passive Acoustic Effect of the Turbine in Automotive Turbocharger,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 295 60 75 2005
- Lavrentjev, J. Åbom, M. Bodén, H. “A Measurement Method for Determining the Source Data of Acoustic Two-Port Sources,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 183 3 517 531 1995