This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A State Space Thermal Model for HEV/EV Battery Modeling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Battery thermal management for high power applications such as electrical/hybrid vehicles is crucial. Modeling is an indispensable tool to help engineers design better battery cooling systems. While Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) has been used quite successfully for battery thermal management, CFD models can be too large and too slow for repeated transient thermal analysis especially for a battery module or pack. An accurate but much smaller battery thermal model using a state space representation is proposed. The parameters in the state space model are extracted from CFD results. The state space model is then shown to provide identical results as those from CFD under transient power inputs. While a CFD model may take hours to run depending on the size of the problem, the corresponding state space model runs in seconds.
CitationHu, X., Lin, S., Stanton, S., and Lian, W., "A State Space Thermal Model for HEV/EV Battery Modeling," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1364, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1364.
- Ghosh, D. Maguire, P.D. Zhu, D.X. “Design and CFD Simulation of a Battery Module for a Hybrid Electric Vehicle Battery Pack,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1386 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1386
- Zolot, M. Kelly, K. Keyser, M. Mihalic, M. Pesaran, A. Hieronymus, A. Thermal Evaluation of the Honda Insight Battery Pack (NREL/CP-540-30095) 36th Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference 2001
- Gao, Lijun Liu, Shengyi Dougal, Roger A. “Dynamic Lithium-Ion Battery Model for System simulation” IEEE Trans. Comp. Package. Technology 25 3 495 505 Sep. 2002
- Chen, S.X. Tseng, K.J. Choi, S.S. “Modeling of Lithium-Ion Battery for Energy Storage System Simulation” Power and Energy Engineering Conference, 2009. APPEEC 2009 Asia-Pacific 27 31 March 2009 1 4
- Stout, Roger “Linear Superposition Speeds Thermal Modeling” Power Electronics Technology 22 25 Jan. 2007
- Stout, Roger “Linear Superposition Speeds Thermal Modeling” Power Electronics Technology 28 33 Feb. 2007
- Hu, X. Lin, S. Stanton, S. Lian, W. “A Novel Thermal Model for HEV/EV Battery Modeling Based on CFD Calculation” IEEE ECCE conference 2010
- Lathi, B.P. Signals and Systems Oxford 2002
- Oppenheim, Alan V. Willsky, Alan S. Nawab, S. Hamid Signals and Systems Prentice Hall 1996