This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Efficient Urea-SCR Systems for EPA 2010-Compliant Medium Duty Diesel Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued new emissions regulations, which came into effect in January, 2010. These EPA 2010 regulations are the most stringent emissions standards in the world, reducing both particulate matter (PM) and nitrogen oxides (NOx) to nearly zero levels. Hino Motors improved upon its previous EPA 2007-compliant engine, developing a new exhaust after-treatment system in which a Diesel Particulate active Reduction System (DPR), a Urea-Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) System and a Burner System are employed to meet EPA 2010 emissions regulations for medium duty commercial vehicles. DPR was already developed and utilized to reduce PM to meet EPA 2007 standards, but the Urea-SCR System is newly developed technology used to reduce NOx emissions to comply with EPA2010 emissions regulations. In addition, a Burner System is used to elevate exhaust gas temperatures in order to improve both SCR performance and DPR active Regeneration. The combined utilization of these systems, enables significant NOx reduction, achieving levels below 0.2g/bhp-hr (0.27g/kWh) as well as PM levels below 0.01g/bhp-hr (0.013g/kWh) under FTP cycle operating conditions. This paper reports the development approaches and results.
CitationAkiyoshi, T., Torisaka, H., Yokota, H., Shimizu, T. et al., "Development of Efficient Urea-SCR Systems for EPA 2010-Compliant Medium Duty Diesel Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1309, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1309.
- Toorisaka, H. Minamikawa, J. Narita, H. Muramatsu, T. et al. “DPR Developed for Extremely Low PM Emissions in Production Commercial Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0824 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0824
- Suginuma, K. Muto, H. Nakagawa, H. Yahagi, T. et al. “Hino J-Series Diesel Engines Developed for the U.S. 2004 Regulations with Superior Fuel Economy,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1314 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1314
- Hosoya, M. Kawada, Y. Sato, S. Shimoda, M. “The Study of NOx and PM Reduction Using Urea Selective Catalytic Reduction System for Heavy Duty Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1576 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1576
- Kowada, M. et al. “Development of PM and NOx Reduction After-treatment System for Heavy-Duty Commercial Vehicle (First Report)” JSAE 20105725
- Watanabe, M. et al. “Aqueous Urea Solution Dosing System for Diesel Vehicles” JSAE 20064603
- Kimura, M. Muramatsu, T. Kunishima, E. Namima, J. et al. “Development of the Burner Systems for EPA2010 Medium Duty Diesel Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0295 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0295