This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Acoustic Noise Assessment of Gasoline Direct Injection Fuel Injectors Using Taguchi Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Gasoline Direct injection (GDi) systems offer performance and /or fuel consumption advantages compared to the traditional lower pressure port fuel injected technology. One disadvantage of GDi is the higher level of audible noise produced by the high pressure GDi system components. Powertrain noise is a known warranty complaint across the automotive industry.
This paper presents an objective comparison of acoustic noise emitted by eight solenoid actuated fuel injector designs during their normal operation, including at engine idle, where powertrain noise is more noticeable to the customer. Taguchi Robust Engineering methods will be used to conduct an assessment of the noise generated by various GDi fuel injector designs. Injector fixturing, measurement procedures, and their impact on reducing test-to-test measurement variation are discussed.
CitationBraun, C., Faville, J., Geib, T., and Buehler, D., "Acoustic Noise Assessment of Gasoline Direct Injection Fuel Injectors Using Taguchi Methods," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1216, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1216.
- Omekanda, A. M. Geib, T. Buehler, D. Wan, K. Lavan, L. G. “Acoustic Noise Assessment of Gasoline Direct Injection (GDi) Components Using Taguchi Methods - Application to GDi High-Pressure Pumps,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0586 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0586
- Wirth, M. Storch, A. “The Next Generation of Gasoline Direct Injection: Improved Fuel Economy and Optimized System Cost” 12th Aachen Colloquium on Automotive and Engine Design 2003
- Landenfeld, T. Kufferath, A. Gerhardt, J. “Gasoline Direct Injection - SULEV Emission Concept,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0041 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0041
- Landerfeld, T. Efremidis, C. Laubender, J. “The Future of Gasoline Direct Injection” Global Powertrain Congress Novi, Michigan, U.S.A September 2006
- Bradbury, N. Findlay, A. Johnson, J. Van Patten, E. DenBraven, K. “University of Idaho's Clean Snowmobile Design Using a Direct Injection Two-Stroke,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0050 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0050
- Wu, Y. Wu, A. Taguchi Method for Robust Design Fairfield, NJ ASME Near 2000
- Taguchi, G. Chowdhury, S. Taguchi, S. Robust Engineering New York McGraw-Hill 2000
- Ueno, K. Company-Wide Implementations of Robust-Technology Development New York ASME Press 1997
- Taguchi, G. Chowdhury, S. Wu, Y. Taguchi's Quality Engineering Handbook Hoboken, NJ Wiley 2004