This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect Of Swirl and Tumble on the Stratified Combustion of a DISI Engine - A CFD Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Of late direct injection engines are replacing carburetted and port injected engines due to their high thermal efficiency and fuel economy. One of the reasons for the increased fuel economy is the ultra lean mixture with which the engine operates under low loads. Under the low load conditions, the air fuel ratio of the mixture near the spark plug is close to stoichiometric values while the overall mixture is lean, which is called stratified mixture. In order to achieve this, proper air motion during the late stages of compression is a must. Quality of the mixture depends on the time of injection as well as the type of fuel injector and mixture preparation strategy used. Engines employing air guided mixture preparation are considered as the second generation engines. For understanding the efficient mixture preparation method, three types of flow structures like base (low tumble), high tumble and inclined swirl are created inside the engine cylinder using shrouds on the intake valves. The results reveal that the high tumble flow with late injection provides a better mixture distribution and combustion characteristics compared to other flow structures like base and inclined swirl.
CitationGunasekaran, J. and Ganesan, V., "Effect Of Swirl and Tumble on the Stratified Combustion of a DISI Engine - A CFD Study," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1214, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1214.
- Alger, T. Hall, M.J. Mathews, R.D. “Fuel Spray Dynamics and Fuel Vapour Concentration Near the Spark Plug in a Direct Injected 4 Valve SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0497 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0497
- Anderson, R.W. Brehob, D.D. Yang, J. Vallance, J.K. Whitaker, R.M. “Understanding the Thermodynamics of Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) Combustion Systems: An Analytical and Experimental Investigation,” SAE Technical Paper 962018 1996 10.4271/962018
- Bai, C. Gosman, A.D. “Development of Methodology for Spray Impingement Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 950283 1995 10.4271/950283
- Chryssakis, C.A. Assanis, D.A. Lee, J-K. Nishida, K. “Fuel Spray Simulation of High Pressure Swirl-Injector for DISI Engines and Comparison with Laser Diagnostic Measurements,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0007 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0007
- Cole, R.L. Poola, R.B. Sekar, R. “Exhaust Emissions of a Vehicle with Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 982605 1998 10.4271/982605
- Iwamoto, Y. Noma, K. Nakayama, O. Yamauchi, T. Ando, H. “Development of Gasoline Direct Injection Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 970541 1997 10.4271/970541
- Kawajiri, K. Yonozawa, T. Ohuchi, H. Sumida, M. Katashiba, H. “Study of Interaction between Spray and Air Motion, and Spray Wall Impingement,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0836 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0836
- Hiraya, K. Hotta, I. Takahashi, E. Tsuchida, H. Urushihara, T. “A Study of a DISI Engine with a Centrally Located High-Pressure Fuel Injector,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2944 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2944
- Noma, K. Iwamoto, Y. Murakami, N. Lida, K. Nakayama, O. “Optimised Gasoline Direct Injection Engine for the European Market,” SAE Technical Paper 980150 1998 10.4271/980150
- Reitz, R.D. Diwakar, R. “Effect of Drop Breakup on Fuel Sprays,” SAE Technical Paper 860469 1986 10.4271/860469
- Park, S. Cho, H. Yoon, I. Min, K. 2002 “Measurement of Droplet Size Distribution of Gasoline Direct Injection Spray by Droplet Generator and Planar Image Technique- Measurement Science and Technology” 14 859 864
- Stovel, C.H. Mathews, R.D. Johnson, B.E. Ng, H. Larsen, B. “Emission and Fuel Economy of a 1998 Toyota with a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-1527 1999 10.4271/1999-01-1527
- Takagi, Y.T. Itoh, T. Muranaka, S. Liyama, A. Urushihara, T. Naitoh, K “Simultaneous Attainment of Low Fuel Consumption, High Output Power and Low Exhaust Emissions in a Direct Injection SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 980149 1998 10.4271/980149
- Stanglmaier, R.H. Hall, M.J. Mathews, R.D. “Fuel-Spray/Charge Motion Interaction within the Cylinder of a Direct-Injected 4 Valve SI Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 980155 1998 10.4271/980155