This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of SOF Effects on Deposit Characteristics of the EGR Cooler Using a PM Generator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The high concentration of particulate matter (PM) in diesel exhaust gas causes significant soot deposition on the wall of EGR cooler, and reduces the heat transfer performance of the EGR cooler and the reduction rate of NOx. The deposition of PM tends to be occurred more severely with "heavy wet PM," which is more frequently at the LTC (low temperature combustion) engine.
The objective of this work is to evaluate the effects of soluble organic fraction (SOF) on deposit characteristics of the EGR cooler. To measure reliable mean particle concentration values and surrogate SOFs, the soot generator with SOF vaporizer was used.
As for two surrogate SOFs, n-dodecane and diesel lube oil, deposit mass increased when they were injected. Especially from the experiment results, it was found that the lube oil effect was more significant than the n-dodecane effect and lube oil also had a stronger effect on reduction of thermal conductivity by filling pores in deposits. In detail, when diesel lube oil was injected, the deposit mass per unit area increased 121% compared to dry soot without injection at the coolant temperature of 40°C. In contrast, effectiveness-drop after 10 hours increased just by 11%.
CitationLee, Y., Hong, K., Song, S., Chun, K. et al., "Evaluation of SOF Effects on Deposit Characteristics of the EGR Cooler Using a PM Generator," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1156, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1156.
- Zheng, M. Reader, G. T. Hawley, J. G. “Diesel Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation - a Review on Advanced and Novel Concepts” Energy Conversion & Management 1145 883 900 2004
- Abd-Alla, G. H. “Using Exhaust Gas Recirculation in Internal Combustion Engines: a Review” Energy Conversion & management 43 1027 1042 2002
- Hoard, J. Abarham, M. Styles, D. Giuliano, J.M. et al. “Diesel EGR Cooler Fouling,” SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 1234 1250 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2475
- Zhang, F. van Nieuwstadt, M. “Adaptive EGR Cooler Pressure Drop Estimation,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0624 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0624
- Lance, M.J. Sluder, C.S. Wang, H. Storey, J.M.E. “Direct Measurement of EGR Cooler Deposit Thermal Properties for Improved Understanding of Cooler Fouling,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1461 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1461
- Bravo, Y. Lázaro, J.L. García-Bernad, J.L. “Study of Fouling Phenomena on EGR Coolers due to Soot Deposits -Development of a Representative Test Method,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1143 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1143
- Bravo, Y. Moreno, F. Longo, O. “Improved Characterization of Fouling in Cooled EGR Systems,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1257 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1257
- Grillot, J. M. Icart, G. “Fouling of a Cylindrical Probe and a Finned Tube Bundle in a Diesel Exhaust Environment” Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 14 442 454 1997
- Charles, F.L.R. Ewing, D. Becard, J. Chang, J.-S. et al. “Optimization of the Exhaust Mass Flow Rate and Coolant Temperature for Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooling Devices Used in Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0654 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0654
- Usui, S. Ito, K. Kato, K. “The Effect of Semi-Circular Micro Riblets on the Deposition of Diesel Exhaust Particulate,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0969 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0969
- Ismail, B. Charles, F. Ewing, D. Cotton, J.S. et al. “Mitigation of the Diesel Soot Deposition Effect on the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Cooling Devices for Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0656 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0656
- Sluder, C.S. Storey, J.M.E. Lewis, S.A. Styles, D. et al. “Hydrocarbons and Particulate Matter in EGR Cooler Deposits: Effects of Gas Flow Rate, Coolant Temperature, and Oxidation Catalyst,” SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 1196 1204 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2467
- William, C. H. 1999 Aerosol Technology 2nd 171 172 2008
- Sahetchian, K. Champoussin, J. C. Brun, M. Levy, N. Blin-simiand, N. Aligrit, C. Jorand, F. Socoliuc, M. Heiss, A. “Experimental Study and Modeling of Dodecane Ignition in a Diesel Engine” Combustion and Flame 103 207 220 1995
- Sluder, C.S. Storey, J.M.E. “EGR Cooler Performance and Degradation: Effects of Biodiesel Blends,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-2473 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2473
- Majewski, W. A. “Diesel Particulate Matter,” http://www.dieselnet.com/tech/dpm.html