This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Quasi-Static Testing of Tubular Roll Cage and Stock Car Chassis Joints
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Since their introduction into NASCAR® (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing, Inc.) in the early 1950s roll bars have played a vital role in protecting race car drivers from injury during crashes. Just as helmets, seats, seatbelts and a multitude of other safety enhancements have evolved and transformed racing safety, so too have roll bars. From serving as additional bracing in early stock cars, to being the primary chassis and frame system in modern NASCAR vehicles, tubular roll bars have changed dramatically.
This paper summarizes extensive quasi-static testing of tubular joints. Test variables included joining method and gusset design. Also described are the material properties, engineering characteristics and joining methods currently used in modern NASCAR vehicle chassis fabrication.
|Technical Paper||A Shoulder Belt Load Cell for Racing Cars|
|Technical Paper||Passenger Vehicle Braking Performance with a Disabled Vacuum Power Booster|
|Technical Paper||Vehicle Fire Data: Different Sources, Different Goals, Different Conclusions?|
CitationPatalak, J. and Gideon, T., "Quasi-Static Testing of Tubular Roll Cage and Stock Car Chassis Joints," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1105, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1105.
- ASTM Standard A519-06 “Standard Specification for Seamless Carbon and Alloy Steel Mechanical Tubing” ASTM International West Conshohocken, PA www.astm.org
- Nadzam, J. Armao, F. Byall, L. Kotecki, D. Miller, D. “Gas Metal Arc Welding Guidelines” Lincoln Electric, MIG C4.200 2005 www.lincolnelectric.com
- Flagg, M. Armao, F. Klingman, D. Kolasa, J. Papineau, A. Peters, C. Polewchak, T. West, B. “Gas Tungsten Arc Welding” 2 nd 2004 James F. Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation 0-937390-00-3
- 2010 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Rulebook
- ASTM Standard A370-10 “Standard Test Methods and Definitions for Mechanical Testing of Steel Products” ASTM International West Conshohocken, PA www.astm.org
- ASTM Standard E8/E8M-09 “Standard Test Methods for Tension Testing of Metallic Materials ASTM International West Conshohocken, PA www.astm.org
- ASTM Standard E190-92 “Standard Test Method for Guided Bend Test for Ductility of Welds” ASTM International West Conshohocken, PA www.astm.org
- ASTM Standard E290-09 “Standard Test Methods for Bend Testing of Material for Ductility” ASTM International West Conshohocken, PA www.astm.org