This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Shoulder Belt Load Cell for Racing Cars
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents the rationale behind the development of a shoulder belt load cell suitable for application in racings cars. The design of the load cell and the operational parameters necessary for a research-quality measurement device for biomechanics research in racing car crashes and the performance of the device in sled tests are described.
CitationMelvin, J., Morgan, C., and Gideon, T., "A Shoulder Belt Load Cell for Racing Cars," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1102, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1102.
- Amenson, T. Begeman, P. Melvin, J. Grimm, M. “Development of the MADYMO Race Car Driver Model for Frontal Impact Simulation and Thoracolumbar Spine Injury Prediction in Indianapolis-type Racing Car Drivers,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Electron. Electr. Syst. 1 1 630 651 2009 10.4271/2008-01-2975
- Begeman, P. Melvin, J. “Mathematical Modeling of Crash-Induced Dynamic Loads on Race Car Drivers,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3305 2002 10.4271/2002-01-3305
- Begeman, P. Melvin, J. Troxel, T. Mellor, A. “Frequency Response and Coupling of Earpiece Accelerometers in the Human Head,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3657 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3657
- Gideon, T. Melvin, J. “Crash Recorders in Racing - An Overview,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 1 1 1334 1348 2009 10.4271/2008-01-2972
- Handman, D. Poff, R. “A Triaxial Accelerometer Small Enough to Fit in Your Ear,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1379 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1379
- Knox, T. “Use of Instrumented Earplugs to Measure Driver Head Accelerations,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-3303 2002 10.4271/2002-01-3303
- Trammell, T. Weaver, C. Bock, H. “Spine Fractures in Open Cockpit Open Wheel Race Car Drivers,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3630 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3630
- Troxel, T. Melvin, J. Begeman, P. Grimm, M. “Biomechanical Investigation of Thoracolumbar Spine Fractures in Indianapolis-type Racing Car Drivers during Frontal Impacts,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3633 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3633