This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparative Study of Active Control Strategies for Improving Lateral Stability of Car-Trailer Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper examines the performance of different active control strategies for improving lateral stability of car-trailer systems using numerical simulations. For car-trailer systems, three typical unstable motion modes, including trailer swing, jack-knifing and roll-over, have been identified. These unstable motion modes represent potentially hazardous situations. The effects of passive mechanical vehicle parameters on the stability of car-trailer systems have been well addressed. For a given car-trailer system, some of these passive parameters, e.g., the center of gravity of the trailer, are greatly varied under different operating conditions. Thus, lateral stability cannot be guaranteed by selecting a specific passive parameter set. To address this problem, various active control techniques have been proposed to improve handling and stability of car-trailer systems. Feasible control methods involve active trailer steering control (ATSC) and active trailer braking (ATB). Recently, a variable geometry approach (VGA) has been investigated. The essence of this method is to actively control the lateral displacement of the car-trailer hitch in order to improve high-speed stability of the vehicle system. To derive the three controllers, their respective yaw plane models are introduced. The simulation results based on each control method are examined and compared against each other. Through the benchmark comparisons, the features of different control strategies are identified and their applicability discussed.
|Journal Article||Linear Quadratic Game Theory Approach to Optimal Preview Control of Vehicle Lateral Motion|
|Technical Paper||Rollover of Heavy Vehicles|
|Technical Paper||Yaw Rate Based Trailer Hitch Angle Estimation for Trailer Backup Assist|
CitationShamim, R., Islam, M., and He, Y., "A Comparative Study of Active Control Strategies for Improving Lateral Stability of Car-Trailer Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0959, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0959.
- Hac, A., Fulk, D., and Chen, H., “Stability and Control Considerations of Vehicle-Trailer Combination,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 1(1):925-937, 2008, doi:10.4271/2008-01-1228.
- Palkovics, L. and Fries, A., “Intelligent Electronic Systems in Commercial Vehicles for Enhanced Traffic Safety”, Vehicle Systems Dynamics, Vol. 35(4/5), 2001, pp. 227-289.
- Winkler, C., “Rollover of Heavy Commercial Vehicles”, UMTRI Research Review, Vol. 31, 2000, pp. 1-17.
- Hensley, “The Secret of the Hensley Arrow,” http://www.hensleymfg.com/how_it_works.shtml.
- Equal-i-zer, “4-Point Sway Control,” http://www.equalizerhitch.com/productinfo/4_point_sway_control.php.
- Sharp, R.S., and Alonso Fernandez, M.A., “Car-caravan snaking Part 1: the influence of pintle pin friction,” MS thesis, School of Engineering, Cranfield University, Bedford, 2001.
- Sharp, R.S., and Alonso Fernandez, M.A., “Car-caravan snaking Part 2: active caravan braking,” MS thesis, School of Engineering, Cranfield University, Bedford, 2001.
- Nagai, R., and Kageyama, I., “Stabilization of Passenger Car-Caravan Combination Using Four Wheel Steering Control,” Vehicle System Dynamics, vol. 24(4), 1995, pp. 313-327.
- Minaker, B.P., and Maiorana, J., “Active Control of Trailer Dynamics Using Variable Geometry,” presented CSME Forum 2004, Canada, June 1-4, 2004.
- Ellis, J.R., “Vehicle Dynamics,” Business Books Limited, London, 1969.
- Hespanha, J., “Undergraduate Lecture Notes on LQG/LQR Controller Design,” http://www.ece.ucsb.edu/∼hespanha/ece147c/web/lqrlqgnotes.pdf, April 2007.
- He, Y., Elmaraghy, H., and Elmaraghy, W., “A Design Analysis Approach for Improving the Stability of Dynamics Systems with Application to the Design of Car-Trailer Systems,” Journal of Vibration and Control, vol. 11(12), 2005, pp. 1487-1509.
- He, Y., Khajepour, A., McPhee, J., and Wang, X. “Dynamic Modelling and Stability Analysis of Articulated Frame Steer Vehicles,” Internal Journal of Heavy Vehicle Systems, vol. 12(1), 2005, pp. 28-59.