This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Integrated Chassis Control to Improve Vehicle Handling Dynamics Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Many of today's modern vehicles are ‘smart’ enough to sense their environments and make decisions that influence things such as handling, stability, safety and comfort. As of today, these systems are functioning in a standalone manner. Research shows the benefits of integration of these systems. This paper presents the development of an integrated control system amongst active front steering, active suspension, brake-based electronic stability control and variable torque distribution system. The simulation results show that this integration strategy enhances the vehicle handling stability in terms of reduction in vehicle yaw rate and side-slip angle that would not be attained in standalone manner.
CitationRengaraj, C. and Crolla, D., "Integrated Chassis Control to Improve Vehicle Handling Dynamics Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0958, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0958.
- Junjie, H. et al “Coordination of Active Steering, Driveline and Braking for Integrated Vehicle Dynamics Control” IMechE '06 220 2006
- Karbalaei, R. et al “A New Intelligent Strategy to Integrated Control of AFS/DYC Based on Fuzzy Logic” International Journal of Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 1 1 2007
- Kazuya, K. et al “H ∞ Control for Integrated Side-slip, Roll and Yaw Controls for Ground Vehicles” AVEC'00 2000
- March, C. Shim, T “Integrated Control of Suspension and Front Steering to Enhance Vehicle Handling” IMechE '07 221 2007
- Rengaraj, C. et al “Integration of Brake based Vehicle Stability Control and Active Suspension” European Automotive Congress, EAEC '07 2007
- Rengaraj, C. et al “Integration of Yaw control, Active Suspension and Anti-lock brake system to Improve Vehicle Ride and Handling” FISITA '06 2006
- Rengaraj, C. et al “Integration of Active Front steering, Active Suspension and Electronic Stability Control for Improved Vehicle Ride and Handling” 9 th international symposium on advanced vehicle control, AVEC '08 2008
- Pacejka, H.B. Besselink, I.J.M. “Magic Formula Tyre Model with Transient Properties” Vehicle System Dynamics 1997
- Bakker, E. Nyborg, L. Pacejka, H.B. “Tyre Modelling for Use in Vehicle Dynamics Studies,” SAE Technical Paper 870421 1987 10.4271/870421
- Fletcher, I. et al “A Benchmark for ABS Control algorithm evaluation” Proc. JSAE 2004
- Rajamani, R. Shim, T “Adaptive Observers for Active Automotive Suspensions - Theory and Experiment” IEEE Tans. On Control Systems Tech. 1995 3 1 86 93
- Rajamani, R. “Vehcile Dynamics and Control” Springer 2006
- Pinnel, A. et al “Vehicle Dynamics Simulation with Active Yaw Control using Variable Drive Torque Distribution” JSAE Annual Congress proceedings No. 12-04, 20045411 2004
- Vientinghoff, A. et al “Detection of Critical Driving Situations using Phase Plane Method for Vehicle Lateral Dynamics Control by Rear Wheel Steering” 17 th world congress, 978-1-1234-7890-2/08, IFAC'08 2008