This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Hydrogen Fueled Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 12, 2011 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Hydrogen was used to operate a single cylinder engine in homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) mode. The engine was a modified 435 cm3 single cylinder air cooled Yanmar L100V direct injection (DI) compression ignition (CI) engine. The original diesel fuel injection system was removed and a hydrogen port fuel injection (PFI) system was added, along with a 1 kW intake air heater. The piston was modified from the original re-entrant bowl piston to a dish shaped piston, while maintaining the original 21.2:1 compression ratio. The engine speed was maintained at a constant 1800 RPM. Three hydrogen fueling conditions of 25, 30, and 35 slpm were investigated, which corresponded to an excess air ratio (λ) of roughly 4.38, 3.64, and 3.16, respectively
The fuel conversion efficiency for the conditions tested ranged from 23% - 27%. The low fuel conversion efficiency was partly attributed to the low combustion efficiency seen, which ranged from 86% - 88%, and partly attributed to the high fraction of energy leaving as heat transfer to the cylinder walls. It is speculated that the high fraction of fuel energy leaving as heat transfer to the cylinder walls is caused by the elevated intake air temperatures leading to higher in-cylinder temperatures during the compression stroke, the high surface area to volume ratio of the engine, and the operation of the engine at light loads.
|Technical Paper||Interaction of Intake-Induced Flow and Injection Jet in a Direct-Injection Hydrogen-Fueled Engine Measured by PIV|
|Technical Paper||The Potential for Reducing CO and NOx Emissions from an HCCI Engine Using H2O2 Addition|
CitationBika, A., Franklin, L., Acevedo, H., and Kittelson, D., "Hydrogen Fueled Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0672, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-0672.
- Onishi, S. Jo, S.H. Shoda, K. Jo, P.D. et al. “Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (ATAC) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 790501 1979 10.4271/790501
- Noguchi, M. Tanaka, Y. Tanaka, T. Takeuchi, Y. “A Study on Gasoline Engine Combustion by Observation of Intermediate Reactive Products during Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 790840 1979 10.4271/790840
- Najt, P.M. Foster, D.E. “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 830264 1983 10.4271/830264
- Hosseini, V. Checkel, M.D. “Reformer Gas Composition Effect on HCCI Combustion of n-Heptane, iso-Octane, and Natural Gas,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0049 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0049
- Yap, D. Megaritis, A. Peucheret, S. Wyszynski, M.L. et al. “Effect of Hydrogen Addition on Natural Gas HCCI Combustion,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1972 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1972
- Shudo, T. Takahashi, T. “Influence of Reformed Gas Composition on HCCI Combustion of Onboard Methanol-Reformed Gases,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1908 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1908
- Caton, PA Pruitt, JT Homogeneous charge compression ignition of hydrogen in a single-cylinder diesel engine Int J of Engine Research 2009 10 1 45 63
- Gomes Antunes, JM Mikalsen, R Roskilly, AP An investigation of hydrogen-fuelled HCCI engine performance and operation Int J of Hydrogen Energy 2008 33 20 5823 5828
- Stenlåås, O. Christensen, M. Egnell, R. Tunestål, P. et al. “Reformed Methanol Gas as Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine Fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2991 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2991
- Rosati, M.F. Aleiferis, P.G. “Hydrogen SI and HCCI Combustion in a Direct-Injection Optical Engine,” SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 1710 1736 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1921
- Heywood, JB Internal combustion engine fundamentals New York McGraw-Hill 1988